Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking question

Default Overclocking question

Hello, I'm planning on buying a gaming PC from iBUYPOWER: Custom Build Gaming Computers Desktop PCs, Notebooks. I'm wondering if those machines are overclocking friendly? Or I have to build the machine a certain way to do it? Or better yet, is someone able to recommend me what I should get if my budget is around $2500-$3000?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Overclocking question

Yeah, I would imagine so. I have only built and used laptops from there and they were overclock friendly! Thats a laptop at that! And it is the only place I have ever built a laptop that comes with desktop CPU's and you can change EVERY part inside the laptop with ease. So I would say for sure the desktops would be superb.

But with that being said, I can for sure also tell you if you want to save yourself 2000 you could build yourself a better system by buying your own items and put it together

I always screw something up when I try to put one together :(

Ahhh dont blame yourself it isnt that hard, just be sure to check somewhere or here that you are ordering all compatible parts.

But yes that is a decent place to waste some cash! Way better then DELL or similar. you know, you can call them up and speak with someone about a specific model and ask about the BIOS options

i was planning on getting the Q6600 along with one of those ASUS boards they have as options.

for video card maybe a 9800 GX2?
    4gb of PC8500 ram
    + misc stuff it came out to about $2,400? something like that.

Those ASUS boards would have the necessary options for me to set the FSB on the CPU higher right? and that's what I basically need to do to OC the CPU? I'm probably going to need a step by step guide on how to do it, but I couldn't find a guide that's even fairly recent.

Yeap, sounds good. but you could always call to be sure they have not altered the bios and you will receive a normal overclockable Asus board with a normal Asus BIOS

Which Asus board are you looking at?
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

I'm not really sure, one of the ones they let you choose from here?
    IBuyPower Computer :: Intel Quad-Core Configurator ; ;

Unless you plan to use SLi I'd tend toward the Asus P5E (X38 DDR2) or the Asus P5K (P35 DDR2), I have no experience with the MSI P35 board but I currently own a P5K (vanilla) and a P5E3 (DDR3), both boards overclock well.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information