Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCI Express Frequency

Default PCI Express Frequency

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I'm in the process of trying to overclock an E8400 on a Gigabyte x48 ds4 board. I got it stable at 3.6 ghz.

My question is, whenever i set the PCI Express frequency to 100 and boot into windows, my processor stays loaded at up to 30 % without any programs running, also my Visontek 4850 shows it is running at up to 30 % with out any programs running. but when i set the PCI Express frequency to auto everything is fine.

Is this normal?

I may not have everything set correctly in the bios, as this was my first build and overclock.

thanks for any help in advance.

System specs are:
    E8400
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283
    Gigabyte x48 ds4
    G.Skill pc2 8500 2x1gb
    Visontek 4850
    X-Fi extreme gamer fatality
    Seagate 250 gb hdd
    Lite on super multi sata optical drive
    Corsair 750tx psu
    Raidmax Smilodon case

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: PCI Express Frequency

Are you sure this is the cause? I mean do you let the system set for a few minutes after bootup to be sure before you check?

try 101-105 then and see if it fixes it. Auto for sure cannot be used when you overclock as you raise the FSB the PCI express bus will also be overclocked and will corrupt yout data and can even cause hardware failure

Add +0.1-.15 PCI express voltage as well to see if that helps ya out any.

But no, that would not be normal but dont be quick to decide that is the cause. I am sure you have tested thoroughly just wanted to say that again incase you had not as it should have no effect on CPU usage no matter what you set it to. (100-110 MAX Recommended)

I tried changing the settings you recommended but core temp still shows 28 % load on both cores amd ATI CCC shows 24 % load on the GPU. I let it sit for 10 minutes with no change.

But when i go back and change the PCI-E Frequency back to auto, it is not even a minute after boot up that core temp shows no load and the same with ATI CCC.

This is the only setting i'm changeing, i don't know what else could be causing this?

how much would the pci-e frequecy be overclocked running a 402 front side bus setting?

I went back and reloaded optimized defaults, set my memory timings back to the spec sheet, saved and booted into windows. no load on the CPU or GPU.

Then i went back and set the PCI-E frequecy to 100 and added 0.1 PCI-E voltage and rebooted to windows. now the load is higher, 40 % load on CPU and 32 % on GPU, no overclocking at all.

Go back and set PCI-E to auto no load.

What do you think i should try to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Rabid1; 11-30-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

You seem to work overtime on this forum. you are the only person i have seen answer any questions on here, and i'm sure there are a ton of questions, so thanks for the replys.

I read the guide you posted to bios flashing, I did flash this board with @BIOS when i first received it, i'm starting to think now that may be the problem.

I will go back and reflash with Qflash and see if that fixes it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Na, your board would either die or be fine if you use @BIOS

But yes, you can reflash if you like. Just remember after you load optimized to go back in the BIOS before windows and set your SATA and disk order Settings again

Reflashing the BIOS had no effect on the problem, I did find out that setting the PCI-E frequecy to anything other than auto causes this problem, at 105 PCI-E the computer goes into a reboot cycle, even setting it to 90 causes a load on the CPU.

Also i noticed that setting the PCI-E to anything other than auto causes the PC to boot slower.

Maybe I have a defective board? But it runs great set to auto so i will just leave it alone.

Thanks for your help Lsdmeasap.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information