Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MCH Core Question

Default MCH Core Question

I am moving this from a private message to a post so that others can contribute and learn as well. (Hey everyone, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap
    Quote Originally Posted by n1vek
    Hi,

I read one of your posts for overclocking my q6600 on a ep45-ds3r gigabyte board. Thank you so very much for all of the clear help and settings.

One question I had about my motherboard is exactly what the "MCH Core" voltage is. I googled this and found another thread on this site (here) that discussed the topic, but never defined exactly what is was.

I also looked around in my manual and could not find anything very clear.

Any help in explaining exactly what the MCH Core voltage controls would be very helpful before I start adjusting it on my own.

Thank you very much. Very nice site and I look forward to hanging out and learning.

MCH Core voltage is your Northbridge Voltage (Memory Controller) and the amount needed to be set depends on a few things. It depends on the FSB you are running, the Strap you are using, the actual Memory Multiplier you are using (Ram Speed) and the amount of physical Ram installed.

P45 MCH is a bit tricky as well, sometimes when you think you need more less would be better and visa versa. All of course depending on the other mentioned items above.

Here is some more of my findings about Voltages, just incase you planned ton tinkering with them all >>>>

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

If you want a higher or lower than stock % / Value for any of the above settings you will find it easier to set the Dram Voltage or Vtt back to stock (Or above or below to find and be able to choose alternate % Values), then adjust desired setting to the % / Value you wish to use.

Then once you have selected a % range you want to use for said setting then go back and raise your Vtt or Dram Voltage back to what you choose to use and the corresponding settings will self adjust
    Good luck, and of course if you need some help feel free to make a thread and I will help as much as I can

Thank you very much for the reply. As of now I am sitting with strictly stock voltages and still stable @ 3.1Ghz on my q6600.

I lowered my memory speed a bit in an effort to bring the FSB:DRAM ratio closer to 1:1. I am currently sitting at 5:6.

However, your answer has led me to another question:
    Is it more desirable to have a higher strapping and a lower multiplier, or a lower strapping and higher multiplier. My BIOS gives me the option of I believe 200, 250, 333 and 400Mhz and then several different multipliers to get my final speed.

The general idea I have gathered from other places is that a lower strapping and higher multiplier will result in lower latencies. You should only go to a higher strapping when you need to OC your RAM or raise the speeds in general.

Thanks in advance.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: MCH Core Question

The lower straps are better, but are harder to get and keep stable. Higher straps are as you said easier to work with and will be more stable at higher clocks.

Here is a image of what Memory Multi's are available for each strap >>>

I am currently running a 9x multiplier with a CPU host freq. of 350 for a clock of 3.15Ghz.

I am still kind of fuzzy as to how the MCH Freq. Latch and System memory multiplier relate to the CPU freq. As of now I have my MCH Freq. Latch set to 333Mhz and the multiplier to 2.4. However, the memory frequency changes as I move the cpu host frequency around.

Why is this? And any suggestions on the best memory settings for my current CPU setup?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya Memory Freq will change as FSB does >>>

Memory Freq = FSB X Memory Multi

I would be using the B strap Multi's for 350-400 FSB, after that it gets tougher to use B and you would need to move to the D Strap if you have issues you cannot seem to get stable

I have been able to get it stable using the A strap. Is this advantageous to my overall system performance?

Also, my motherboard allows me to lower my multiplier and increase my FSB. I have 1066 RAM, so I feel like i could speed things up by using a higher FSB. If I did this, I know I would have to probably use a higher strapping.
    Last edited by n1vek; 01-07-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Thread Information