Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UD3R and E8500 Overclocking

Default UD3R and E8500 Overclocking

I just built a new rig, which runs great under all stress tests at stock (of course), but is having problems achieving much of an overclock. I love these forums, but have never posted before. Many here appear to be familiar with my Mobo and the M.I.T. in its BIOS, so I'm gonna try my luck--

I have no problem increasing the CPU Frequency to around 3.5 with minimal Vcore increases:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.47

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 366Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: [Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.25 (very stable here or even lower)

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.2
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.5

BUT if I try to increase the speed anymore at all or tighten my RAM timings or anything, I get continuous short beeps denoting a power problem, then my computer restarts twice and I go back into the BIOS, change the voltages, but can never get it to boot with anything other than stock settings or what you see above.

Furthermore, when I set it back to stock now, there is usually a long low pitched beep but it still boots to windows no problem and tests well. What in the world could that long low pitched beep be? It is there about every other time I start up now.

Any tips on achieving a faster, safe, stable overclock? Or did I get the lemon of the E8500s, etc.

Perhaps my RAM is the problem, but others on newegg claimed they got it up to 5-5-5-15 1066 at 2.1v no problem:
    Newegg.com - OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Edit:
    For those of you who do not believe in burn-in, I testify it is real! After taking BABY steps, stress testing at each step, I was able to take things up to settings that would not post before. My rig was frying at 3.55GHz at ANY voltage, now it is stable up to 4.1GHz (haven't tried it past that yet). EasyTune 6 was not working before either, but works fine now at every level I've tried. Still, any tips are always appreciated.
    Last edited by Cussduck; 01-22-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: UPDATE:
    Mo/Bo: GA-EP45-UD3R
    CPU: C2D E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    Vid: EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    RAM: 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    HDD: 4 TBs
    PSU: CoolMax 950W
    HS: Xigmatek HD
    T-S1283
    Case: CM Stacker 830

Thread Information