Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclock/underclock

Post Overclock/underclock

Hello, im new to the overclocking community as i've just built my first computer =D

I have a few questions about overclocking, and, if my computers underclocked.

My computer includes;
    Ep45 UD3P Gigabyte motherboard
    Q6600 CPU
    CNPS7500 LED Zalman cpu fan.
    XFX Nvidia 9800gt
    Antec 900 (Thought this would have some relevance to cooling)
    and 4gb, of patriot viper ddr2 RAM.

My first question is about the ram, the programs i have show me that its running at 400mhz, but on the advertised box, and website it says 800mhz.
    I'd like to change it to the 800 its supposed to be pushing, or possible more if thats within my range of abilities.
    Link of proof:
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...x4owns/mem.jpg

My next question is wether or not id notice, or benefit from overclocking to 3.0ghz, or more, im open to suggestion and criticism. My query as to weather this is underclocked is cpu-z and real temp show my cpu as clocked at 1600hz, as far as i know i thought it was 2400...?
    image:
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...x4owns/cpu.jpg

Im dedicated to my computers safety, but am willing to spend the time tweaking voltages, as i've read this is involved!

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice, and share their experience with me!

Chucko is offline Member

Default Re: Overclock/underclock

CPU-Z is showing the actual memory clock. This is Dual Data Rate (DDR) RAM so the effective rate is 2x the actual clock, or 800MHz.

The 1600MHz CPU clock is an indication that you have EIST (SpeedStep) enabled. This sets the CPU clock multiplier to its minimum value 6x under light load.

So, you are actually clocked at stock speeds.

My Q6600 runs at 3.0GHz without boosting any voltages - in fact everything but the CPU core is undervolted as I write and it's nice and stable. You will definitely notice a performance boost from a 25% overclock!

If you choose to overclock, make sure your CPU cooler is up to the job. IMHO your Zalman is probably adequate at stock speeds, but I'd want something better at 3GHz and beyond. CPU core temperatures in stress testing will tell the tale.

Thanks for the very informative reply, and overclocking without changing the voltage seems like a very good idea!

Running prime95 for an hour gave me a max temp of 48 with my zalman fan!

Overclocking 0.5ghz will push the temps over 60? >.<

Chucko is offline Member

Prime95 is not the most stressful program out there... try LinX or Intel Burn Test. They will push your core temps up another 10 degrees C! Some video transcoding programs are also brutal on CPU usage.

I don't call it "stable" until it can run 24 hours of Linpack (what LinX is based on). Your definition of "stable" may vary.

If you crank up the CPU core voltage to achieve a higher overclock, temps can start skyrocketing before you know it. Keep an eye on the core readings.

This could be a guideline for what i'd be doing(youtube) watch?v=-kf_hSIpa0A

My understanding is limited i hope you understand, this is just an imitation.

Let me know what you think?

Thread Information