Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: tweak utility??

Default tweak utility??

anyone...please...
    i need a program that offers up a means of tweaking that doesn't require a doctrate in dos..! my first true build has been down more than i can stand and it always happens after i bump things up in asus ai... frfiedd two psu's and a couple barracudas (have no clue how that happened other than mobo voltage bumps) so far and i really would like to have a tweaker that is idiot proof, free and has all the monitoring including FPS during game play...
    thanks...
    ultra x3 850
    RX atx / sam.22x dvd
    Q6600 gs on PN5 @ 3.20
    vista home prem. 32 bit
    250 gig sam w/16 mb cache
    2x 8800GT oc's @ 680 core
    4gig OCZ reap bumped up 15%

Default Re: tweak utility??

Use the Bios Luke

Honestly, using Ai Tweaker and other like software to oc is not the best. You really should oc from the bios, as to the monitoring, there are free applications to monitor things, the only Asus software I use is SmartDoctor (and that's only because Riva Tuner is too clunky for my liking)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Yeh! Overclocking from BIOS is best, if you know what you are doing! I've been using the Evga Precision 1.5.1 You can download it from EVGA. Many options simply laid out...does what I want it to do (including adjusting fan speed!)...hasn't caused me any problems.
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Phenom II X6 1100T
    GA-990FXA-UD7
    MSI R6950 TF III PE/OC X2
    ST1200W PSU 4Gb
    G.SKILL DDR3 1866 16GB
    WD VelociRaptor 600GB

thanks guys... guess i'll just have to learn this stuff, i just thought there was something out there that didn't require a degree... i did learn a few mobos out now have the ability to detect you hardware limits and prevent you from or advise you against going too far... is that true??
    ultra x3 850
    RX atx / sam.22x dvd
    Q6600 gs on PN5 @ 3.20
    vista home prem. 32 bit

Voltage is the most dangerous aspect of bios overclocking, you can still overvolt components so check your maximums (especially VDIMM), with your processor (65nm) try and stay under 1.4V if you're on stock air cooling, 1.45 - 1.5V (maybe) if you have good after market air cooling, keep a close eye on your temps at those Vcore settings.

Most other settings will just cause the board to not post/boot if they are too far out and most modern boards have an "overclock recovery" function these days to accommodate settings that prove a little too "adventurous".

I would suggest making a note of your current overclock settings (I'm assuming you're using the 15% OC setting) and manually input them in the bios. Use that as a "starting point" and work your way up from there.

Good luck

:)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
    Voltage is the most dangerous aspect of bios overclocking, you can still overvolt components so check your maximums (especially VDIMM), with your processor (65nm) try and stay under 1.4V if you're on stock air cooling, 1.45 - 1.5V (maybe) if you have good after market air cooling, keep a close eye on your temps at those Vcore settings.

Most other settings will just cause the board to not post/boot if they are too far out and most modern boards have an "overclock recovery" function these days to accommodate settings that prove a little too "adventurous".

I would suggest making a note of your current overclock settings (I'm assuming you're using the 15% OC setting) and manually input them in the bios. Use that as a "starting point" and work your way up from there.

Good luck

:)
    thanks dude! and yep you assume correctly... i have three exhausts and two intakes on my case though and a sythe tower on my cpu along with a ram fan between the 8800's... so the ambient inside there is never more than 5 or 6c higher than my room and the Q6600 stays around 48 under heavy load but gpu 1 is peaking at 94c though unless i under clock it from it's factory 690 to about 650 wich brings it down to around 80c but that temp stays high on crysis unless i drop game play settings to high and lose the A's... gpu 2 never goes over 70c... but as far as voltages i haven't got the nads to take them up w/out the asus assist... since the first and last time i tried smoked a hdd and an sli rail on a psubut i will take your advice on the manual setting thing... sounds like a great way to get started
    ultra x3 850
    RX atx / sam.22x dvd
    Q6600 gs on PN5 @ 3.20
    vista home prem. 32 bit

Thread Information