Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Challenge: Getting 8GB Ram to run stable w/ mobo

Default Challenge: Getting 8GB Ram to run stable w/ mobo

Specs:

Asrock x38 TurboTwins motherboard
    e8400 core 2 duo
    2 pair of dual channel (2x2gb) G skill PI ddr3 7-7-7-18 1.6v
    silverstone 700w psu
    2 ati hd4850 crossfire

I was getting not so often random system crashes, either freeze, or restart. Now I play a game that "forces" it to happen per say.

After much testing, better cooling, new video card, discussions with motherboard and ram tech support, I pretty much found the problem(kind of).

Running either pair by itself fixes the stability problem. If I try to run both pairs (all 8gb) its unstable.

Ram tech support says its because my tRFC was too low, and I can't change this in my motherboard, I can only change basic timings settings in motherboard.

On my own I have tried higher voltage, lower voltage, higher NB voltage, tried overclocking cpu/ram, it just wont' run stable with 8gb of ram.

I tried using memtest software to up the tRFC since the ram tech guy said this was an issue, I had it up in the 80s still unstable. Pretty much any timing my bios let me try, I tried, more advanced timings I would have to adjust using software (memtest) which makes me a little wary.

Well you guys are the overclocking gurus, what do you think? Can you guys help me get 8gb stable on this setup, even though the tech guys both are telling me to change mobo/ram?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Challenge: Getting 8GB Ram to run stable w/ mobo

tRFC and MCH (Northbridge) Voltage would be key. Can you change NB Voltage in your BIOS? tRD (Static tRead Value) may also be set to low, can you set this?

8GB is often hard to get stable, but you should be able to on X38. What speed are you trying to run them at?

Is there maybe a hot key for hidden BIOS settings in your BIOS? If you know of an Asrock Forum you could ask what the key is, if there is one. If it is award BIOS you could try Control + F1 on the MAIN Page of the BIOS then the screen would flash, then you would go check in your overclock pages for any new settings.

If you link me to the BIOS you are using, I can check to see if these settings are in the BIOS or not

I don't think it's an AWARD Bios, It says "AMI Bios" not sure if that is the type of bios or not. Found it here on the product page specs: ASRock > Products > X38TurboTwins

Unless there is hidden bios settings (not sure but the motherboard tech support guy didn't say anything about them when I told him I needed to change the tRFC) I can't change tRFC or tRD..unless I use software like Memset. I can only change speed, the basic timings (7-7-7-18), the command rate, and yes I can change the NB voltage.

I am running them at 667, 7-7-7-18, 1.65v

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

YA AMI is a BIOS type. They may or may not know about hidden settings, or maybe not allowed to advise you about them anyway.

Some boards just do not have settings available, but with this being X38 I would imagine you should for sure be able to set tRFC and tRD, at least tRFC should for sure be in your BIOS. Normally some of the advanced settings may be missing on certain cheaper models, but X38 was a more expensive chipset anyway, so I don't think they made any into "Cheap/Budget" models

Well, I just checked your BIOS and was VERY Surprised! You are right, there is very limited options. So this maybe was a budget model then? Here you can see, even if they were there and hidden, which they are not >>>

They could maybe be added in, but I don't know how to add to AMI BIOS so even if I could tell how it could mess things all up and I would not risk send you a file.

Are you using 1T or 2T? Maybe 2T would help if you are not already using it, otherwise you may need to use CAS 8 to overcome the missing settings

I had tried 9-9-9-24 and that was still unstable. Never tried 8s. Ram tech guy sent me an email yesterday saying what may work is lowering the speed and tightening the timings, I haven't tried that yet.

He also said that I have to have the NB voltage at "high" or "highest" (those are my bios options) to make it work as well.

I tried 2T/1T as well in a few different tests.

Thread Information