Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: i5 & GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R

Default i5 & GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R

Antec 300
    Antec 650watt psu
    i5
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
    GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R
    G.SKILL Trident 4GB -F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD DDR3 2000 Timings 9 9 9 27
    SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    WD Caviar Black 640 main drive
    Seagate 1.5T
    Lite On iHas124 CD/DVD Burner

Looking for a stable 3.6ghz overclock. I think I have things close but since I'm a newb I'd like your input. I'm prime stable on all three tests for an hour each, haven't had time to go longer yet.

Temps are fine all in the 50's for max load. One core occationally hits 60 but drops down to 59. In CPUZ Core Voltage says 1.296V with no load and 1.248V under load.

I've also ran memory tests and all seem to check out fine. Every once in awhile I get a BSOD on startup but it seems like it's only on cold bootup and it's very random even at that.

Running the F2 BIOS because I'm a newb and am afraid to flash it.

CPU Clock ratio 18x
    Advanced CPU core:
    Turbo Boost Disabled
    CPU Cores All
    CPU Multi-threading Disabled
    CPU Enhanced Halt C1E Disabled
    C3/C6/C7 State Support Disabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor Enabled
    CPU EIST Function Disabled
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT AUTO
    QPI Clock Ratio x32
    BCLK Frq 200
    XMP Enabled
    System Memory Multi 10
    PCI Express Freq 101
    CIA2 Disabled
    CPU Clock Drive 900mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew 0ps
    DRAM Timing Selectable Quick
    Channel Interleaving Auto
    Rank Interleaving Auto
    CAS Latency Time 9
    tRCD 9
    tRP 9
    tRAS 27
    All other Ram settings on Auto
    Load Line Calibration Disabled
    CPU Vcore 1.3375
    QPI/Vtt Voltage 1.310V
    PCH Core Auto
    CPU PLL 1.900V
    DRAM Voltage 1.600V
    DRAM Term AUTO
    Ch-A Data VRef Auto
    Ch-B Data VRef Auto
    Ch-A Address VRef Auto
    Ch-B Address VRef Auto
    Isochronous Support Enabled
    Virtualization Tech Disabled

How do things look? What should I change? I know I need to run prime95 for longer, my main concern is the strange cold boot issue and also not wanting to overvolt anything since I'm pretty sure I've got the dreaded foxcon socket.

Only other issue I've noticed is Crysis froze a couple times and ate all my RAM a couple times but I think that's an issue with that pig of a game as apposed to the setup.

So far this thing rocks, I just want to get everything where it needs to be. I appreciate any advice you can give since I'm not 100% sure what all the settings mean and am still learning.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: i5 & GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R

Sounds like you may be close, a hour of prime is good but as you know you should test much longer once you think you are fully stable (12-24 hours)

I would think to resolve your BSOD issue, and get fully stable you may need more Vcore, QPI/Vtt, and a bit more than stock PCH. You may also need to set your Vdimm to 1.66

Since you are underclocking your ram you can use better timings, maybe 787-20 or 888-20 at least.

I do recommend you do not use XMP, and set each channel by itself using Expert instead of Quick

Now I'm confused. I thought by running BCLK at 200 and my memory multi at 10 I was pushing the RAM at 2000mhz which would be what it's spec'd for right? The memory is rated at 1.6v so should I still go up to 1.66v?

How much PCH would you recommend? Do you think I only need to make minor increases in Vcore and QPI/Vtt? I want to avoid any issues related to my foxcon socket (which I get conflicting information on when I've researched it).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Do you see any settings I either have disabled or enabled that should be different? </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>I'm shooting for reliable use for around 5 years which is why I'm not shooting for 4ghz or anything too high. I really appreciate your help! </o:p>

Sorry! I missed your ram multi!

Yes, To run 2000Mhz you are going to need 1.66 Vdimm and a high QPI/Vtt voltage

I would enable LLC, the rest looks fine as far as your enabled/disabled settings.

Ok great. I'll enable LLC and then start playing with my Vcore. On the QPI/Vtt is there a votage that I should regard as dangerous? I'm fine with running an mem multi of 8 for 1800 and then play with the timing if you think that would be better. Like I said, I'm looking for a good balance between speed and the lifetime of the system. Sorry for all the newb questions. I've used your help from other threads I've read to help me OC my old Q6600 and my buddies Q9550 and couldn't have done it without ya!

Well here is a post where I posted some of my thoughts and findings on QPI/Vtt
    QPI/Vtt Voltage post (High is OK)

What is safe for 24/7 usage I am not sure, but from the above info and links, seeing 1.6 programmed into XMP profiles I am leaning towards that being OK to use. But really not sure, so you need to decide yourself on that one. I have used 1.6-1.72 myself, but only for bench runs or short periods.

Have you found what IOH, QPI/Vtt and Vdimm your setup needs to run 2000Mhz yet? If not I would decide after you find that out, because it very well could be that your CPU may do it will 1.4-1.5 QPI/Vtt which would be fairly safe as long as temps are good

Actually I haven't touched the computer since tonight. I sent my Vapor X 4890 back to newegg because I was experiencing cold boot problems and wanted to rule that out as an issue since my particular serial numbers happened to be part of the bad batch.

Just got the new one this evening and am getting everything back together. I'll start playing with it and see.

So far everything seems prime stable but I'm still having cold boot issues even though I have a different graphics card. It's only if the computer has sat overnight and hasn't been started for awhile.

Gets to the windows screen and then freezes with a black screen. If I restart it, it will boot fine. Any ideas? Running the ram at 1800mhz now, QPI @ 1.35 , Vcore 1.35 with LLC. Any idea why I'm still having cold boot issues? Once it's up and running we're doing well.

Thread Information