Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Too much RAM?

I have recently been doing alot of tech repairs on my computer in order to achieve more stability when playing computer games. I am running on Win98 and have 512 mb RAM. I believe this to be the cause of all my instability. Is there any way to lower (yes, lower) the amount of RAM that the computer detects to obtain more stability? I will upgrade to WinXP soon, and use all of my RAM then; but for now I need to reduce the amount.

Thanks in advanced.

The only way that I know that you can lower it is to put a lower stick in? No but honestly I think the first few pins or the last few pins make sure the computer detects how much that stick has. I guess if you break off the pins or something? THat will break the stick though. But I'm not sure how much 98 can handle I thought it was 512 but I could be wrong.

It's happiest at 256MB's though usually it will get along with 512MB's but not always. check this out though, http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q253912 ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

yea anything over is 256mb is a waste...but y dun u get winxp?:D
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050

Quote Originally Posted by chisholm
    yea anything over is 256mb is a waste...but y dun u get winxp?:D
    That is the best solution!

I was running my 933 PIII with win98 on 512MB of PC133 Ram with no probs...

Nice to see you back CHIS!!
    - Damien

I have run Win98 on several boxes with 512mb ram and never had a problem. I have heard of the rare instances when people have had problems though. You don't say what the nature of your instability is or how you have come to the conclusion that it is the amount of ram. You also don't mention whether you have tried it with a smaller stick. Maybe with a little more info we could be of more help. By the way, the "anything more than 256mb is a waste" school of thought cannot apply unless they know just what you do with your computer. Some activities definitly benefit from more ram than that. If you need an example of that, try loading a really large, color image in Coreldraw and manipulating it. More ram = faster!

Thread Information