Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q6600 overclocking with Gigabytes GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2.4

Default Q6600 overclocking with Gigabytes GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2.4

Hi i'm trying to find some good advice as to how to overclock my system, Q6600, GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2.4 mobo, Kingston 2x2g 8500 hyper x's, radeon hd4350, arctic pro 7 fan, corsair 800w psu, operating system win 7 64bit.
    I have it all set up standard and works well, the only issue i've had so far is that after i installed win 7 and went through all the updates, on reboot the alarm sounded and wouldn't boot up, according to the manual for motherboard it was either graphics card incorrectly installed or power fault. Which is strange because i removed one of the rams and it boots up fine, when i try to put the other back in, no go, alarm sounds, which is odd? maybe faulty rams? anyway i'm hoping i can find some useful info here and good guidance in overclocking my system.
    Thankyou for taking the time to read my post
    Mike

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Q6600 overclocking with Gigabytes GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2.4

Try the other ram in it's slot too see that both sticks and slots work fine by their own.
    Load optimized defaults, save, & reboot.
    Please attach CPU-Z text report (about tab) if you can.
    4GB is the maximum amount possible may be a bit heavy for the G31, you may need to compromise ram speed.

I did try out 1 ram at a time in the first slot shortly after writing this post, not sure why i didnt think of that before. 1 of my rams is dead it turns out, not bad for 10 mins usage. It's strange it was fine until i connected my hard drive from my old system that fizzled out to retrieve some files etc and all went wrong from there, that hard drive is now in the bin.
    I've attached my cpu-z report, hopefully its attached.
    This is my first system build and overclock, i've been using TF2 to test my pc, it played at first, but now stuggles to load the game.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The document i attached is from when i validated it after a friend twweked my system a bit, ihave since returned it to default setting but for some reason i cant save it as txt format, its saving as cvf format? here is the link CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Tou don't beed to validate, just "Save Report (.TXT)"
    So you already overclock it to 3GHz?
    What is the memory model? Kingston do not burn it in the SPD for some reason.

Currently you are at 333MHz with 2.50A SMM and timings 5-6-6-19, you may be better with 2.40B and timin at 5-5-5-18.
    DRAM voltage is set to 2.1v, you can try timings 4-4-4-12 if that dosen't work try 4-5-5-12.
    I am not sure the manual I have shows all the options in the BIOS, do you have "Static tRead Value" and/or Driving "Strength Profile"?

If your game needs a lot of memory it might be a problem now with only 2GB installed.

Ahh i see ok, the memory model is KHX8500D2K2/4G.
    yes there is a static read value, its 4. It wasnt on the main bios, i had to enter the advanced setting of it, ctrl f1.
    It was overclocked but have set it back to original state until i have absolute certainty that what i am doing is correct.

Don't trust BIOS defaults for tRD(Static tRead Value), Check it with MemSet(Performance Level).

What is the voltage on the sticker? The site says 2.2-2.3v but sometimes it changes, go with what is on the sticker.

What other options are revealed with ctrl+f1, any under System Voltage Control?
    Not many options to overclock, you want more than 3GHz?

well im not too fussed as to going to the extreme with overclocking it, as i understand, the motherboard is suitable for beginner overclockers. Im just after a bit more umph for gaming. the performance level with memset is 4. the ram voltage is 2.3. and yes there is a few options under voltage control, i'll have to get back to you with that

2.2v is max this board can go so it will have to do, we can try 1066 but with only one stick when you get a replace ment 2 may not work.
    I also looked for review of arctic cooling freezer pro and at 2GHz Q6600 got it to 85c core temps with OCCT so better stay there.
    What vcore did you set for 3GHz?

well, i just tried setting it to 3ghz setting the ram to 4 4 4 12, on reboot it reset itself to default, tried with 4 5 5 12 and it did the same, it actually worked better when i set it to 3ghz and let the bios auto set the rest. so im still keeping it to 2.4ghz for the moment
    in the advanced setting of bios there is 'advanced timing control and system voltage control', ddr2 over volt ctrl, fsb over volt ctrl, fsb deover volt ctrl, cpu volt ctrl and normal cpu vcore. when i set it to 3ghz i didnt set the vcore, i let the bios auto set it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information