Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclock Q6700 with GA-X48_DS5 Socket 775

Question Overclock Q6700 with GA-X48_DS5 Socket 775

First off thank you to anyone that can lend me a hand in this. I am very new to all this. I have this chip for sometime now and though I would have a go at overclocking.
    My System specs are as fallowed:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
    Mobo: GA-X48-DS5
    Chip: Q6700 @ 2.66 Quad Core
    CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER V6 GT (Just picked this up to overclock)
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
    RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
    (Cas Latency = 5, Timing = 5-5-5-15-2T, Voltage = 2.1V)

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 560 Superclocked + 55MHz on GPU, 2 GB DDR5 Memory. (When the card drops in price will prob get one more for SLI)

Now my question is does anyone know a good starting point for me with in the Bios. I have read a few things but most deal with a water cooled system. Has anyone had any success in overclocking with this MOBO and Chip and what specs did you change and use. I have read that people are getting around 3.2 or higher. My main goal is to boost my whole system up to be stable and happy, since right now I can't afford to build a whole new system.

Any help would be most appreciated in my new Overclocking journey. I hope I have provided enough information on my system. Most searching I have seen involves the Q6600 and the DS4 Mobo. Not sure if we have a huge difference here.

Thanks again for your time and I look forward to learning more about Overclocking and Computers. Maybe next on the list will be a Liquid Cooled System and a nice unlocked i7.

Jay

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclock Q6700 with GA-X48_DS5 Socket 775

I think 333MHz is a good start point, up to 3.33GHz. Basically it's the same as overclocking Q6600 or any other CQD/C2D.

First of all load optimized defaults, then:
    CPU Clock Ratio 8(2.66GHz) later you can increase.
    Set Host Frequency 333
    Prformance Nehance standard
    SMM(System Memory Multiplier) 3.2B
    Standard Timing Control 5-5-5-15
    Static tRead Valu 7-8 for now, try to lower it later.
    DDR2 Over Voltage +0.3
    All other voltage options normal, and LLC(Load Line Calibration) enabled.

Before you begin overclocking, run a few baseline tests with just optimized defaults, IBT(Intel Burn Test)/LinX with 2048MB(GFlops), MaxxMEM² - PreView synthetic memory benchamark, and any other benchmark that is similar for the tast you'd be running (e.g. gaming or video encoding benchmark).
    Monitor CPU temperatures with Core Temp, anything lower than 75c for IBT(highest temps you will get) is O.K.
    Run at least one pass of memtest86+ before you run windows.
    Run Prime95 blend torture for at least 6 hours to test stability.

Please attach a CPU-Z text report (CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT)) to your next post (Go Advanced)

Hey Chike,

Thanks for all the input. Though I seem to be having a few issues.
    I fallowed all your directions, expect for the CPU Clock Ratio. I set that to 10x since from what I have found on the Net that is the correct Multiplier.
    I hit F10 to save and when I boot into Windows everything is fine until I open up cpu-z. Shows no overclocking, everything is the same as being on the
    stock chip. I have even redone the settings after loading optimized defaults, hit F10 to save, gone back into the bios to make sure things saved as i had
    change them. It has saved it in the Bios. But still no overclock.

I have no idea what is going on. Been trying different settings, leaving ram timing on auto if that was an issue, etc. Nothing. I have also checked the to
    see if I have the latest Bios and it is Bios version F8c a beta according to GA website. Not sure if that is the issue.

Any idea why things will not seem to save or cpu-z is only showing me staying at 2.66?

Thanks for anyone's help. I have been messing with it all day trying to just play with settings to see if I can get it to change.

Thanks for your time,

Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by An3x; 02-09-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Forgot cpu-z text report

Please post your full settings using the template in this post. Ignore the values in the template, replace them with your settings.
    I wasn't wrong about the CPU Ratio, I did not mean to use the default max 10 but 8. OCing step by step, FSB first then CPU. Have you set CPU Host Frequency to 333? No red alert about failed OC when re-entering BIOS M.I.T after reboot?
    BIOS should be fine, lets hope it's not the issue as there are very few alternatives.

EDIT: I see memory voltage reads 2.14 in CPU-Z so try +0.25 and check BIOS HW Monitor after reboot that it is lower and around 2.1v
    Last edited by Chike; 02-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.

HTML Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9x] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[Not shown in my MOBO]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
     PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20B]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]
    CAS Latency Time________________ [5] 
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ [5]
     Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________   [15]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 
    Read to Precharge Delay__________
    Static tRead Value_______________ [7]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0..25V] Hardware Monitor now shows [2.08v]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal or Auto, can't remember what it said, but left it alone per your fist instructions] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
    Normal CPU Vcore__________ [1.32500v]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
    Another site said to do this, not sure if that is right I can change it if need be.
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual 

PCIntegrated PeripheralsLegacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    As shown in the CPU-Z file at 9x I was able to get to 2996.8, at 8x I stayed at 2.66, the original speed of the Q6700. I can set it back to 8x multiplier if you want me to?
    Sorry I guess I am getting ahead of myself reading other post on other forum's and what they are saying.
    I have attached another CPU-Z txt Document for you.
    I really appreciate everything so far. Seems to be a bit of a learning curve on what steps to take, one at time. Wish I found a good tutorial on the web. I guess my google search skills have failed me.
    I will also be running prime95 on burst mode to see how things run for 6 hours or more.

Thanks again for all your help again,

Jay

I's OK leave it at x9 just make sure it pass Prime95. In case it fails or BSOD it depend what FFT size cause the failure and/or what is the BSOD error code.

To make sure it has enough power we need IBT/LinX(5 runs, 2048MB), do you have a baseline GFlops for one of them, and what were max core temperature during the run?

EDIT: one more thing, at main BIOS screen press Ctrl+F1, the screen should flash, check if you got more options M.I.T (GTLREFs).
    Last edited by Chike; 02-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.

I ran Prime95 on Blend Mode for 6+ hours, Number of torture test threads 4. According to Hardware Monitor Max on core 1-4 as fallows: 51c, 51c, 48c, and 49c.
    No Warnings or Errors were reported after I stopped the test.

I need to get IBT(Intel Burn Test)/LinX with 2048MB(GFlops)... How long should I run this test for?

I will need to do that when I get home. And will try, main BIOS screen press Ctrl+F1 to see if any more options appear in MIT.

Thanks again. Some if this is actually starting to make a bit more sense now. Baby Steps!

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images Overclock Q6700 with GA-X48_DS5 Socket 775-maxxmem2_d1507-jpg 
    Last edited by An3x; 02-10-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Adding files per request.

Here is the IBT Log. Set to Custom 2048K @ 5 runs.

Hardware Monitor CPU Core Values, MAX:

Core#0: 58c
    Core#1: 57c
    Core#2: 55c
    Core#3: 55c

Hope this helps. Will be restarting computer and looking if hitting Ctrl+F1 brings up any other settings in MIT.

Jay

GFlops seem a bit low o my tast, you need to get 40+, try to set vcore manually 2-4 steps above the default, core temps fine so far.

Memory too seems slow, but it may be the chipset, try lower tRD(Static tRead Value). try 6 then 5.

If the system loops and does not bootturn the PSU off, press the power button and wait a few seconds, then turn the PSU on and try again, it may not boot at frst time, let it loop 4-5 times before you resort to clearing CMOS.

If clearing CMOS is nesessary, again turn the PSU off, press the power button once, then short the CLR_CMOS pins with a jumper or a metal object (like screw driver) for a few seconds.

Sometimes an extended CMOS clear is needed, with the battery out and CLR_CMOS pins shorted for 20-30 minutes, or even a few hours, hoping you will never need it, but better to let you know in advance.

OK, small update. Hitting Ctrl+F1 does nothing.

Starting vCore was 1.32500V I stepped this up 4x which brings me to 1.35000V on my MOBO. Results for IBT:

Stress Level: High (2048 MB)
    Testing started on 2/9/2012 10:08:55 PM
    Time (s) Speed (GFlops) Result
    [22:10:22] 66.973 39.4569 3.349596e-002
    [22:11:47] 66.097 39.9799 3.349596e-002
    [22:13:12] 65.811 40.1537 3.349596e-002
    [22:14:36] 65.790 40.1663 3.349596e-002
    [22:16:01] 65.599 40.2832 3.349596e-002
    Testing ended on 2/9/2012 10:16:01 PM
    Test Result: Success.

Max Core Temps according to Hardware Monitor:

Core#0: 62c
    Core#1: 61c
    Core#2: 59c
    Core#3: 59c

Attached is the MaxxMEM2 test with tRD(Static tRead Value) at 5

Things seem to be looking better but not sure with this MOBO and Chip I will ever get to the 10x Muliplier to run @ 3.33.

Again thanks for all the help with this Chike. Been a big help. As you have told me what to I can see how certain things work within the Bios. Anymore info wold be great I know I have a lot of other settings in the Bios on MIT that are either at Auto or Normal but have no idea if those need to be played with to get more out of this chip.

Tried talking to a friend to help with it too but you seem to be a much bigger help, he seems to keep wanting to change the multiplier and I say NO. As advised by you at this point.

Thanks again and I hope I have provided you with all the info you need so far,

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images Overclock Q6700 with GA-X48_DS5 Socket 775-maxxmem2-static-read-5-jpg 

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information