Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Screen Vs Output and Affects on 3D Scores

Pwnography6 is offline Junior Member

Default Screen Vs Output and Affects on 3D Scores

THE EXPERIMENT

So A while ago now I asked around about how video outputs + screen size affect 3D Benchmark scores. I received a few mixed reactions to how these things affect scores. Needless to say I was not happy about the responses I got back . I felt it needed further investigation. So I grabbed some monitors and screens and set out to see how they would affect my scores.

THE SETUP: I was originally going to conduct these tests on my sig rig but my SLI setup just wasn't ticking properly, So I have employed my office rig for the job. (The Gears.) I will be running3Dmark01.

The testing will be done on a non optimized Win7 PC with no CPU or GPU overclocks.Running 3Dmark01 x3 times each screen. Will be testing across 5 different screen setups from CRT - 42".

THE SCREENS:
    Ancient CRT
    Asus 23.5" LED
    Asus 23.5" LED x2 (Multiscreen.)
    Panasonic Vierra 42" TV
    Turned off screen (Asus 23.5" Just to see the effect.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRT-

Screen>VGA Cable>VGA-DVI-D Adapter>5770.
    Ok so background on this thing . It's an ancient Compaq screen the main reason I put the CRT in this experiment was to satisfy my own curiosity. Might also add some interesting scores.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

So the average here is 40084.86666 etc. Pretty low . Lets see how the 23.5" goes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asus 23.5" LED -

Screen>DVI-D Cable>5770.
    Ok so this is my standard Office setup but usually in dual monitor. I will test this thing with every adapter combination I have available .Point where 300 above the CRT. Im doing the HDMI now.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Averages Here are 40320.3333 etc.. So slightly up from the CRT.

Asus 23.5" LED -

Screen>HDMI Cable>5770.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Averages Here are 40326 etc. So pretty much the same as DVI-D

Asus 23.5" LED -

Screen>VGA>VGA - DVI-D Adapter>5770.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

So the VGA cable with adapter kind of surprised me was expecting lower results .Averages Are 40279 .

Asus 23.5" LED -

Screen>HD Cable>5770Screen>HD Cable>5770.SCREEN TURNED OFF
    So just in the name of equal testing let's try it with the screen turned off through a benchmark.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

So I only took screenies off the 1st Run I completely spaced on the other 2 Averages for screen turned off where 40210.33 etc. So nothing special on this front .
    AMD, Intel, ATI, Nvidia...I don't care as long as it can be overclocked .
    OCD Torture Rack: DD Torture Rack/Asus P5QC (775)/DFI NF4 Ultra D (939)/Asus P4P800 Deluxe (478)/Corsair DDR400 Pro 1gb/G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4gb/Kingpin F1 Dark Dragon Pot/Tek-9 FAT 6.0 GPU Pot/Kingpin Mem Pot/Custom "Quick WB swap" watercooling.

Default Re: Screen Vs Output and Affects on 3D Scores

23.5" LED-

Screen>HD Cable>DVI-D Adapter>5770.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

So the average here is 40210.3333 etc. Which is where I was expecting up next is the 42" T.V this is where I'm really expecting some differences in scores.
    42" TV -

Screen>HDMI Cable>5770.
    OK so First runs with the Big screen. This is my everyday screen and just wanted to see if it is affecting my regular overclocks.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Averages Here are 40289.6666 etc.Which is a LOT higher than I was expecting really thought the screen size here would affect the scores. I have noticed you get a lot more tears and artifacts on the screen during the Tests but it just doesn't really seem to change the final result :thumb:
    42" TV -

Screen>VGA Cable>VGA - DVI-D Adapter>5770.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Averages Are 40422 . Which once again are higher than I was expecting.

23.5" Multi Monitor -

Screen>HD Cable>5770

So just to be even I thought I would run some Multi monitor tests. Screens are NOT identical but close enough to being for the sake of the experiment.

Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Averages here are 40260.6666 etc. I don't normally bench multi monitors but this seemed like a decent score.
    OCD Torture Rack: DD Torture Rack/Asus P5QC (775)/DFI NF4 Ultra D (939)/Asus P4P800 Deluxe (478)/Corsair DDR400 Pro 1gb/G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4gb/Kingpin F1 Dark Dragon Pot/Tek-9 FAT 6.0 GPU Pot/Kingpin Mem Pot/Custom "Quick WB swap" watercooling.

Default Re: Screen Vs Output and Affects on 3D Scores

Ok so put together a quick google spreadsheet of results for easier reading.It's my first google DOC so please go easy.

<iframe frameborder="0" height="450" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AmRj1zarv3atdFV3NEJxTXZ Fd2Jza2hBNkRfUWRETEE&output=html&widget=true" width="700"></iframe>

From the looks of my results it seems like unless you are using a really ancient CRT you don't get too much difference in scores. I will be continuing this experiment over the next few days as I am starting to wonder about a more GPU intensive test Like Heaven 11 . Would be Interesting to see if there is any change in points on the Direct X11 side of things. Hope this lil screen test gave someone a insight into the affects or lack of on Direct X9 .

Thread Information