Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danger ??

Cooling is not everything. My motherboard flipped out on me when I overclicked the FSB to 150. The PC ran stable, benchmarks... everything... Just the ability to format harddrives died. Could not format any harddrive bigger then 6 gigs, hung in the middle, even with the FSB back at 133. Had to exchange the motherboard.

overclocking wont damage it much at all, it may reduce the life of the processor marginally but nothing major, enjoy the free SPEEEED :) :afro:

Quote Originally Posted by nVladik
    Cooling is not everything. My motherboard flipped out on me when I overclicked the FSB to 150. The PC ran stable, benchmarks... everything... Just the ability to format harddrives died. Could not format any harddrive bigger then 6 gigs, hung in the middle, even with the FSB back at 133. Had to exchange the motherboard.

That's a common problem when you overclock the FSB..... some brands of Hard Drives (eg Quantum, Western Digital) love running at high bus speeds, and others (mainly Maxtor) drives don't tolerate the PCI bus being driven much above 33MHz. If you overclocked to 150MHz, your PCI bus would have been running at 37.5MHz, not vastly high but enough to cause problems with some hardware :flames:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I put A Ice qube on that amd It will not last long at that temp
    thill be showing a viedo of it burning up on tom's hardwere.

Albinus: actually it was the motherboard, not the harddrive. I tried 3 different brands of harddrives, seagate, IBM and maxtor.... all same problem. Shipped the board back to the place I got it from, new worked just fine.

i think that the problem is not the overclocking, the problem is the temperature increase. So, as everybody is saying, go for a better cooling!
    Nůs vamos invadir sua praia, baby

yeah cool that baby down

Also, different boards in the same model will overclock to differing degrees - luck of the draw I guess :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

that is true I have two Asus boards (same ref numbers) and one will get my t-bird to a 35% OC and the other won't let me run it at stock speed.

There are a lot of variables to overclockin' but as stated before it's mainly how good ya luck is for gettin' the right combination parts. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information