Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone have safe overclocking setup for sapphire r9285 oc?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: anyone have safe overclocking setup for sapphire r9285 oc?

Prof Jim already basically answered the question about this board and processor combination, an FX 9590 and the ASRock 990FX Extreme3.

FX 9590: 220W TDP AMD FX-Series FX-9590 - FD9590FHW8KHK / FD9590FHHKWOF

ASRock 990FX Extreme3: Originally rated for up to 140W processors, the CPU Support list now contains one 140W processor. Otherwise it has 125W or less processors.

The FX 9590 is not listed in the CPU Support list of the 990FX Extreme3, so this board is inadequate for this processor. The four + one phase VRM design is not up to the task of powering an FX 9000 series processor. The FX 9000 series is in a class all its own regarding power requirements. That is critical to keep in mind.

You mentioned looking at the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer board, which has an eight + two phase VRM design. Certainly above the power capability of the 990FX Extreme3, but again we don't find any FX 9000 series processors in the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer's CPU support list, which is still only rated for 140W processors.

The only board ASRock has that is truly capable of supporting an FX 9000 series processor is the 990FX Extreme9:

ASRock > 990FX Extreme9

ASRock should be credited for being honest and realistic about processor compatibility, this board is the only one that does have the FX 9370 listed in the CPU Support list.

minibrum is offline Junior Member

Right so I have to have that motherboard, no problem is there anything else in my set up anyone can see is an issue with?

Guys, I have another Noob question, if like you are both saying my motherboard doesn't hove the power to run my processor properly (which I totally agree with) would this cause the computer to randomly freeze? And just to let you both know I am looking around to buy that motherboard as soon as I can, thanks again and sorry to pester.

Your first question... first, Your PSU is enough, given the system specs of the 990FX Extreme9 board.

Using the liquid cooler supplied with the FX 9590 is essential, and you have one.

One of your video cards at full load uses just under 450W, so call it 900W for a pair at full load, if that is a realistic situation. That leaves you 300W for the rest of the PC, which may be cutting it a little close. Normally CPU load while gaming is not extremely high, so you may be Ok. Plus how often will the video cards be maxed out? Just keep this in mind, and know that the system specs for the 990FX Extreme9 board use only one video card, that won't be using 900W at any time.

Can a board that is unable to provide power to a CPU cause it to freeze? Sure, although we cannot say that is absolutely the cause. PCs are more complex than just A + B = C. If your CPU is over clocked now, then that is even more likely. It's also possible there is another cause.

For example, using two video cards may cause a lot of heat being generated, and the top card might overheat. Which is why you should be monitoring system temperatures on a regular basis, or at least until you know they aren't a problem.

Building a high performance PC is not just combining a selection of parts together and you're done. We are responsible for verifying the stable functioning of our creation.

Well according to this:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/665...w/index15.html

The set up of their test rig uses just over 600 watts that is under load in the 3d benchmark so another 600 watts in my system to power everything else should be ample but it has only frozen as mentioned twice in just over a week, minimal usage and not once under a lot of load just yet, I have been monitoring the gpu temps and the top card has not been over 39c and the bottom card 33c so I definitely think they haven't been getting too hot either the only issue with my rig at the moment is as you guys said not enough power to the cpu which I will hopefully sort very soon.
    I do appreciate all your help and I don't mean to be naive or anything of the sort, I know a little about computers but I am also learning alot about the high end parts as we speak this is my first high end rig and am trying hard to make it work that's why I am willing to throw more money at it. I'm not the richest person in the world, happily working class but I have saved for this and am making it work with the knowledge I have and I know I don't know half as much as you guys that's why I'm asking away and I do appreciate the help honestly.

Simple question should I plug the display into the bottom card to help keep the top card that little bit cooler because it isn't doing the main processing? Every little helps with heat and that...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,5.html

According to this they would use a total maximum of 596 watts under maximum load surely the psu should be fine?? I know I have a power hungry cpu as well but I think it should be fine with a spare 600 watts?

If your video cards are only at 39C and 33C after you have been gaming for a while, then they are not at all hot and you're doing very well. If those are just idle temperatures, you need to check them during a long gaming session.

I don't think connecting the video cable to the bottom card will make much difference.

I did not see the power consumption was the entire system when I looked at the power usage of a single card. With two at 629W, you are well within the power capability of your PSU. Plus at 50% power usage of your PSU, that is usually one of the most efficient power usage conditions for an 80+ rated unit.

It's clear to me now that the full system specs that AMD provided for the FX 9000 series processors is either very conservative, or the power usage of those processors is more than we know. I think they are being conservative and safe. The CPU used in the review is a highly OC Intel i7-3960X, but uses less power than your CPU. The difference is probably no more than 100W, so you'll be fine.

But that does not change the need for the better mother board.

It was just after doing about 6 benchmarks on tomb raider on highest settings I haven't had chance to game on the computer yet -_- I leave at 6am and get home 6pm and I live with my misses, making it a tad hard -_- haha I'll have the temps showing while I'm testing it out this weekend.

Yeah the fx-9590 says 220w on the box one of the most power hungry processors ^.^

Oh yeah I am definitely getting one of those motherboards if my rig will be better with it then definitely, I'm trying to get one for this weekend so I can swap it over, then I'd have the extreme3 as useless :/ waste of money haha

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The general recommendation is that you should not run your power supply at more than 80% of its rated capacity for an extended period of time, such as when gaming. This means that your 1200 watt psu can provide up to about 960 watts for longer periods without stressing it. Assuming an average psu efficiency of 90% this means that your system will be drawing about 1067 watts from the wall outlet when your system is at the recommend long term limit.

Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB Dual-X in CrossFire Video Card Review provides some detailed power consumption results for your CrossfireX setup and the detailed chart provides results for quite a few video card setups that includes 3-way, 4-way and overclocked setups.

With an "under powered" motherboard it will probably fail sooner rather than later and you will have to hope that a premature failure of the motherboard will not damage any of the attached hardware. To me this is an unacceptable risk.

You should research the advantages and disadvantages of a 3-way CrossfireX setup and if it is worthwhile to add a third video card. Unless something magical has changed things, adding a third video card will not provide a significant performance increase.

Using our PROVA Power Analyzer WM-01 -or "Power Thingy" as it has quickly become known as to our readers- we are now able to find out what kind of power is being used by our test system and the associated video cards installed. Keep in mind that it tests the complete system (minus LCD monitor, which is plugged directly into AC wall socket).

There are a few important notes to remember, though. While our maximum power is taken in 3DMark06 at the same exact point, we have seen the power being drawn as much as 10 percent more in particular tests. We test at the exact same stage every time, so tests should be very consistent and accurate.

The other thing to remember is that our test system is bare minimum -only a SSD is used, with a single CD ROM, and minimal cooling fans.

So, while the system might draw 400 watts in our test system, placing it into your own PC with a number of other items will result in a higher draw.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I do believe that the computer uses less than 80% of the psu limit most the time and (benchmarking) I have not come across any games yet that put it under any max loads, so this should be fine right?

I'll just have to look at crossfireing better cards in the future instead of getting a third card that's fine

And I am definitely trying to get the motherboard for this weekend so I can change it over, wouldn't want to risk damaging anything at all

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information