Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First attempt at overclocking

This is my first attempt at overclocking, so any and all advice is appreciated. My specs.

Dell Dimension 4100 PC
    Pentium 3 866 mhz Type 06868
    Motherboard Intel D815EEA
    BIOS number EA81510A.10A.0027.P08.0011280951
    BIOS version A06
    Ram 192mb PC133
    Windows XP Pro SP1

I read that P3 processors can optimally be overclocked to 1ghz. If u need more info on my specs let me know. Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry but with what you have overclocking is out of the question without major rebuilding. If your looking for more performance consider building yourself a more suitable one for adventures to the darkside. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

hmm...Why isn't mine suitable for overclocking? I don't think my pc is that bad. It was top of the line a year and a half ago when I bought it.

Yes it is was but the Intel motherboard has no overclocking adjustments whatsoever plus the PSU and memory possible isn't rated up to those tasks either which would mean the replacement of all 3 parts so long as the case you have can be fitted with them. The bottom line is that Dell and Intel don't make products for overclockers and what you get is it. : peace2:

Well thanks for clearing this up for me. So intel mobos aren't designed for overclocking. What mobo should I get in the future and what kind of ram do I need?

Get an i815 chipset board made by companies such as Asus, Abit, Epox, MSI and some others that have the options to change FSB/timing/voltages either in BIOS (preferable) and/or dipswitches/jumpers. I can't advise you on what's available now though as it's been over a year since I built a PIII setup. ;)

Thread Information