Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking PC2100 RAM

Hi.. I've got a Soyo Dragon Platinum KT333 board and 256 megs of slow ass PC 2100 ram... What I am wondering is, how fast can I safley overclock my ram?... I put a thermal take heat spreader on it and I have a fan in my case that blows right over the ram so it keeps pretty kool... Also I need to know if I need to do anything more than adjust the Ram speeds in my BIOS to acctually overclock it... I am at work now but once I get home I will also post what brand the Ram is because I know that is also important... Thanks..

As you have already mentioned, the brand of the RAM will play an important role in your overclocking attempts. But I wouldn't talk too badly about your "slow ass PC2100 RAM" since the Crucial brand of "slow ass" modules will generally work at speeds of 190FSB and higher.

As to the settings for overclocking the RAM, there are a few you can play with depending on what is available for tweaks in the BIOS. You can just boost the FSB to higher levels to overclock the entire system, or many of the modern BIOS settings will allow you to boost the memory only to a specified value. Experimentation and a little patience will take you far in this endeavor. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks of the post Darthtanion... I went home to check the brand last night and I forgot that when I attached the Tt Heat Spreader to the RAM the kit used some kind of adhesive strips... I just need to get an idea of where I should start the overclocking at..

:confused:

Just take it to 140MHz first and see if that is stable (should be here) then go up by 5MHz intervals and if instability starts then increase the CPU and/or memory voltage a little and see if this brings stability back and if not then start slowing your memory timings down. If you get a black screen then just clear the CMOS and go back to the last good setting you had and either leave it if you're satisfied or try a little more fiddling with 1MHz incrediments. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information