Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoretical build good for overclocking? [Xeon X5460]

LivingNexus is offline Junior Member

Default Theoretical build good for overclocking? [Xeon X5460]

I'm new to overclocking but I've looked through a few threads here and this seems like the place to ask about a theoretical build I'm putting together based on parts I could find cheaply on eBay based around the Xeon X5460. Since I doubt you could build an i3 system for less than $350 I went with the Xeon as it has four cores and can be overclocked. Since my intention is for this to be a gaming rig, my plan is to try and find a GTX 650 Ti Boost as that's the cheapest card that can still output 1080p at decent settings.

Mainly I'm hoping someone can briefly look this over and tell me if I missed anything and whether or not this build will work. I've done a bit of internet research but I always keep thinking of new things to double-check and therefore the build keeps changing. I want to settle on a complete build before I buy anything, so any help that gets me closer to that is appreciated. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible with just the essentials. I also have my mom's old eMachines junker that I could probably pull the CD Drive and case fans out of, as well as the stock CPU fan if I need to until I can get a decent one to really start overclocking. If I need to I can also use the case, but I would prefer something with more modern cooling sensibilities.

Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Xeon X5460 SLBBA 3.16 GHz $40 @ eBay
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 $18 @ Amazon
    Custom Part Intel CPU Socket LGA-771/775 Adapter Mod Sticker $2 @ eBay
    Motherboard ASUS P5Q TURBO $72 @ eBay
    Memory Samsung 2x4GB DDR2 800Mhz $24 @ eBay
    Storage Patriot Blaze 2.5" 60GB SATA III SSD
    $40 @ eBay
    Video Card GTX 650ti Boost $70
    Case Antec NSK4482B ATX Mini Tower $64 @ ncixus
    Power Supply EarthWatts Green 380W power supply
    Total USD $320

Some of those links go to finished listings but you can get an idea of what I was going for.
    Last edited by LivingNexus; 05-11-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Updated table

MattVRX is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Theoretical build good for overclocking? [Xeon X5460]

Alright, a few things.

First of all, that 212 for $30 really isn't a good choice, you can save some money with something like this CM TX3. I had an i5-2500k running at 5ghz stable with one in the past, they're good enough for most things and avoid the horrible 212 mounting system. Alternatively if you're set on the 212, you can pick up one for the same price with a box from NCIX US.
    Next on to the SSD, an extremely bad idea. Not only does the motherboard not have an msata port, buying a no-name SSD is a bad idea all round. To add onto this, 32gb is simply not enough for windows 7. You're going to need a 60gb as a realistic minimum.
    Finally, you're buying a no-name case and dodgy power supply (not 80 plus, no rebate, not even close to 500w) separately for a total of $60. You would be much, much better off picking up something like this. Has a decent quality power supply in it and should actually have a warranty worth something.

Don't be too sure you can use the old CD drive, PATA vs SATA.
    Last edited by MattVRX; 05-01-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks for your reply Matt. I appreciate you giving me actual advice instead of repeating the same "lawl save up to buy something good" line I've been getting other places.

Quote Originally Posted by MattVRX View Post
    you can save some money with something like this CM TX3. I had an i5-2500k running at 5ghz stable with one in the past, they're good enough for most things and avoid the horrible 212 mounting system.
    Good call. I had seen favorable reviews of the 212 but wasn't sure about it.

Next on to the SSD, an extremely bad idea. Not only does the motherboard not have an msata port, buying a no-name SSD is a bad idea all round. To add onto this, 32gb is simply not enough for windows 7. You're going to need a 60gb as a realistic minimum.
    I had seen a cheap mSATA to SATA adapter on Amazon for $6 but your point about no-name brands stands. I will probably follow your suggestion to buy the case+psu and spring for a 60GB SSD. I would prefer that anyway.

Don't be too sure you can use the old CD drive, PATA vs SATA.
    That's something I hadn't considered. I might try to find an adapter. If nothing else I can always boot to USB to install Windows.
    Last edited by LivingNexus; 05-01-2015 at 03:31 AM.

I'd just go full USB and skip the drive entirely, outside of potential use in the future with games (7 discs > 60gb download size) you're not really going to use it.
    Using the money saved on the heat sink, you can squeeze in something like this without really affecting final price.

I'm all for spending a bit more to get up into the real bang/buck territory, but at the same time seeing what sort of performance you can get for the least money is pretty appealing.

I used PCPP to find the SATA III version of that SSD which is going for around the same price right now. I updated the table in my first post according to your suggestions, and the price is about the same as my build but obviously better quality. I appreciate the assistance.

There's not really any point, the board only supports SATA2 and i don't really see you keeping the 60gb if you upgrade in the future.

Speaking of the board, is there a reason to go for the P45 over a P43? Seems like an easy way to save $10/15

The P45 was referenced in several discussions I read as being better than the original board I had picked out for overclocking. As you can probably tell, this build has seen many iterations as I continue to do research. If you think the P43 will deliver the same or similar performance for this CPU and GPU, I'll look into it.

Here's some food for thought from a forum discussion I found a few minutes ago:

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb
    I haven't used the P43 or G43, so don't let my comments sway your opinion, I'm just posting this up to see what people think and hopefully some more P43/G43 owners to talk.

Usually I find that the lower end parts are actually the full version but with manufacturing defects. e.g. AMD X2 is actually an X4 with two broken cores, or the old Celeron's were Pentium 4's with damaged cache. (They disable the failed sections).

If that was true for the 45 chipsets, then using the 43's for overclocking could be a gamble. I'm not even sure if your friend cares about that, but buying higher binned parts has more quality benefits than purely in the featureset.

Food for thought. I just don't think Intel would actually make runs for P43 and G43, I'd expect the factory runs to be P45 and G45.

As above, I haven't used G43 or P43 for overclocking, it's just a thought I had.

The price of a chipset has lots of factors, not just production cost. e.g. some parts are cheaper to get rid of excess stock levels, or are cheaper because they've already paid for all costs and are in profit country. GPU chipsets being cheap also would increase sales in business, as most business PCs would use on-board.

I'd love to see the stats on G4x sales vs P4x sales.
    Also now that I think about it, I believe one of the reasons for picking the P45 was because it supports 1333 RAM, whereas the P43 only supports 1066. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in real world performance though, for gaming.
    Last edited by LivingNexus; 05-01-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

P43 has FSB wall at around 410MHz

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    P43 has FSB wall at around 410MHz
    +1^^

Check out Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - P45 at its Finest

There are less expensive Gigabyte EP45 models but the UD3P or UD3R models are best.

The EP45-DQ6 was a more expensive model but I doubt that it would be any better when overclocking and the selling price is probably much higher.
    Last edited by profJim; 05-01-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    I'll definitely keep this alternative on the table if I decide I need to reduce my budget, but I'd prefer a DDR3-compatible motherboard since my objective is gaming at 1080p and DDR2 isn't optimal for that, although overclocking it to try and reach comparable speeds is always an option.
    Last edited by LivingNexus; 05-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information