Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Simple Method to Overclock i5-3570K CPU?

Default Simple Method to Overclock i5-3570K CPU?

My PC hardware is:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard
    Intel i5-3570K CPU & Noctua cooling fan on Normal BIOS profile
    16MB GSkill memory

I've just started experimenting with overclocking and found this simple approach which increases the Turbo ratios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0EOCWWeIQ

I've obtained a stable overclock by setting the Turbo ratios to x42 and CPU PLL to 1.65V. All other settings are on Auto.

At this setting the PC runs the Intel Burn Test at 77C and the Prime 95 Blend Test at 66C which I understand is quite reasonable.

However, if I increase the Turbo ratios above 42 , I have to terminate the Intel Burn Test since the temperature ramps up above 90C and I get an audible CPU warning.

Has anyone any tips on how to achieve a higher stable clock by increasing the Turbo ratios. I'm aiming for a stable, reasonably quiet overclock.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Simple Method to Overclock i5-3570K CPU?

Did you have to change CPU PLL?
    Temps are relative to ambient temperature, what is it?
    Which Prime95 version do you use, which IBT stress level did you use and what are GFlops results?
    With settings on auto need to see what actual settings applies.
    So either post a screen capture off OCCT 1-2 minutes after test has started (please lick the left icon on the graph window for a simple white list of sensors and make sure vcore is monitored)
    Or HWiNFO sensors (click "<- ->" if not all relevant sensors fit in the window) while IBT is running.

I've changed the CPU PLL back to Auto and get the same result.

I'm using the latest version of Prime 95 - Blend Test. The Intel Burn Test is on Standard, result is 109GFlops - is that good?

CPU core temperature is 76C max for the IBT and 65C max for Prime 95. The CPU Core Voltage is 1.236V and VID is 1.301V

The OC is very stable at 4.2Ghz but the temperatures increase rapidly above 4.3GHz.

Is there a way of limiting the CPU voltages above to a lower level to contrain the power consumption?

Chike is offline Senior Member

I had a little higher at 4.3GHz maybe it si due to memory OC
    Ambient temperature was rount 17c
    Not a completely stable OC. I may have needed more vcore, try again next winter too hot here now.
    Yes as you get closer to CPU max OC you need to add much more vcore and temps increase.
    But keep in mind that most applications will never get to the level of stress IBT does.

Thread Information