Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking a Pentium III 866

Can Someone give me info on overclocking my pentium 866 on a Shuttle motherboard? It is a jumperless board but can change setting in the BIOS. Is this even a good idea? I don't want to kill my computer yet.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Those good ol' Pentium 3's... *coughs some* Well, I think that the best thing to do first, is to open up your comp', and dust it out (if it's that old :p) this'll help the CPU from reaching higher temperatures.

Next, if you can, try going into the bios, and changing the Multiplyer from 6.5 (That's what I gather by the speed you have set it at) to 7.0, and try starting up the computer, if it works, play a few games that you know 'barely' or 'just' plays on your computer, and play it for about an hour or two. Or, you can search around for a CPU tester on the internet instead of playing games to test it, you can find a trial version of HotCPU Tester on...

http://www.7byte.com/downloads.htm

Or you can use p2p software like KaZaA or WinMX and find a... *cough* cracked *cough* version of the software instead. :D

Run the test over-night or for a few hours on the HARDEST of all the tests, and see if it doesn't come up with any errors.

If your computer can't play about with the multiplyer, try the FSB sppeds instead, put them up in small steps, and test them the same as you would when changing the multiplyer and see how it goes.

(Note: DON'T put the FSB up too high *any higher than 12+* as it may result in a nasty explosion hence, it could mess up your hardware)

Happy overclocking! : peace:

*Goes off to get some cough-drops*

Umm.... Intel CPU's are multiplier locked and adjusting it will do absolutely nothing except maybe a black screen. Overclocking that PIII can only be done by the FSB. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

That's why I stick with the best :D AMD! :thumb:

TwizlZone so long as ya have the jumpers on JP7 set on Auto (pins 5&6 and 7&8 jumpered) then ya'll be able to make adjustments in the BIOS under the Frequency/Voltage Control Panel (core voltage can also be increased here for stability). As ya raise the FSB ya memory may have some probs with timings and under the Advanced Chipset Features is where ya can slow the memory timings if necessary. :devil win

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    TwizlZone so long as ya have the jumpers on JP7 set on Auto (pins 5&6 and 7&8 jumpered) then ya'll be able to make adjustments in the BIOS under the Frequency/Voltage Control Panel (core voltage can also be increased here for stability). As ya raise the FSB ya memory may have some probs with timings and under the Advanced Chipset Features is where ya can slow the memory timings if necessary. :devil win
    Hey Thanks Wiggo, Got the FSB To 151 MHz and now I am running at a some what stable 978 MHz. :devil: :devil:
    It will sometimes freeze and the system will become unstable But that also happend Prior to the OverClocking. Its a brand new MB and our first socket 370 (Old MB was an ASUS socket 7 with an AMD K62 200 overclocked to 366) so maybe I need to brush up on BIOS options because something is not right at all thanks again.:cheers: :cheers:

Good on ya. :thumb:

About that stability, did ya check further about that link on missing files? :?:

Thread Information