Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSB/Multiplier question for my AMD processor

Okay, guys. I have this problem and have had it ever since i got my processor. I bought a mobo/processor combo, a GA-7VAX w/ Via KT400 and a Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 GHz. Well, my processor is only running at 1.36 GHz, and I'm not really understanding why. My bus setting can be switched from 100 to 133 to 166. My multiplier is on 13.5 I believe (default). When I tried to raise my bus speed even above 100, the system became unstable; my computer wouldn't even start on 133, I would just get the dreaded BIOS beep. If someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated

Give us a full rundown of the rest of ya hardware plus whatever memory settings ya have in BIOS as this will help a lot. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Basically, I have one question: could my multiplier settings have caused my fsb to not work at 133 or 166, and will it work at 133 or 166 if i change my multiplier to 11 or something (it's currently at 13.5). I have 512 Mb DDR PC2700, geforce 4 ti 4400, 200 GB wd harddrive. I have a pretty nice setup... but I think my processor is capable of more. Thanks for the help.

Well 13.5 is what ya spose to be at and the FSB at 133MHz which is why I asked about the memory and it's settings as this is usually where the prob lies as somtimes the BIOS will pick some strange timings at times. Gigabyte also have a "Top Performance" setting as well which doesn't always work properly for some. ;)

hmmmmmm ......
    i got 2 set ups using the same gigabyte M/B 1 with a xp 2400 and 1 with a 2200 .........all i did was set the fsb switch 2 133 which is both banks in the off location and the cpu ratio 2 its default auto ( banks 1 to 4 off / 5 on ) try setting it 2 auto ;) but i am using 1 stick of 512 OCZ ddr @ 400 (PC 3200) what other bits u got in there ..........
    hope u get it set up right .........it will runs like a dream when u sort it
    ps .....some do some dont .......i allway change psu 2 a 400 watt

I have one stick that's 512 MB DDR333 PC2700 ram... my switch on my MOBO is set to 100 mhz because when I switch it to 133mhz my computer doesn't even start. It just beeps once. Yay. My multiplier is on auto. I don't know what to do.

Here's an update: I fooled with something in my bios. I changed SDRAM spd from "By Spd" to "133 DDR266". I then shut down and moved that switch on my mobo to increase system clock from 100mhz to 133mhz. I start my machine and the bios immediately recognizes the athlon xp 2200 (which the bios previously was recognizing as an athlon xp 1500 because it was only running at 1.35 ghz due to the 100mhz bus speed). I am elated. I am pumping my arms, even. Christ. Anyway, I open 3dmark2001 to test my new processor speed. On the low-quality car chase benchmark I received over 200 fps the entire time. I am elated and very very enthralled. However, when it is loading the high-quality car chase demo my computer froze. I manually hit the reset button. It starts up again. I run a diagnostic. My CPU temperature is 111 degrees celsius. I am thinking... my processor should be boiling... I freaked. So I turned my machine off, moved that bus speed back to 100mhz, restarted, checked my diagnostics and my cpu temp is 68 degrees celsius, which is still high. My CPU temp has always read around 70 degrees... and isn't that high? I have a Thermaltake cpu fan... that is definitely operating... So I am even more confused now than I was when I began. Someone please help.

Another update, sorry: I just found out that my cpu fan is moving at 2600 RPM... isn't that pretty low? Thanks for your help. : )

Well that would depend on the model of it so let us know which one it is. ;)

I was just reading up on Volcano 7's (Thermaltake), which is what my HSF is. I read that if you take of the little sensor off of the 7+ and splice the wires together, the fan runs at 5000 rpm. According to all the sensors, my system temp is 35C, but my CPU temp is 70C... and I am not experiencing ANY slowdown and I'm not seeing any symptoms of overheating. When I kick my bus speed up to 133, the temp reads at over 100C... What can I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information