Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking - Basics

Umm...yess, well I have read all the overclocking things on this site, and im not very computer savy, and I want to over clock my ATI Radeon Pro 9700 just to another like 20 mhz or something, cause I read that you can't go much more or you hit problems. But you can safely overclock at 365 I think it said, and I got like 5 cooling fans, so cooling isnt the issue. All I want to know is if anyoen know how to overclock that and can tell me in a semi easy way, I would greatly appreciate it, cause I did a google search and can't find anything official or even near representing what I want. Thanks ahead of time.:laugh:

Okay here is what I have, im just preparing for when I get it...

Alienware Area-51
    Dragon Full-Tower Case (420-Watts PS)
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.4 GHz 533 FSB w/ 512 Cache
    ASUS P4T533- C Intel 850E478-pin Pentium 4 Motherboard
    512 RDRAM PC-1066
    80GB Westeren Digital Ultra ATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB AGP Dual Monitor
    KoolMaxx Video Cooling System
    And
    Windows XP Professional

I think thats all that I need to put down, but thats what Im getting in 5 days so any know hows on over clocking and well just any information that I can get from you professionals out there?

I use powerstrip - get version 3.30, early versions don't support the R9700
    it's available at www.Rage3D.com

- I've gone up to 355/355 w/mine - it's an "ATi built" & doesn't have any memory cooling

percentage-wise OC'ing by that amount doesn't make much of a difference to my framerates & 3DMark scores

Thanks, does powerstrip also overclock my Processor? Cause I want MAXIMUM Preformance off of my machine, and I was hoping I could ramp the 2.4 up a little bit, and I dont understand part of what you said. You said that ATI Built powerstrip? Anyway does powerstrip do processors to? And what is the best safe but also giving good preformance numbers and percents?

powerstrip is a 3rd party tweaking utility - it works on just about all video cards - but video cards are all it does

by ATi built - I meant my Radeon9700 was built by ATi - as opposed to cards that are powered by ATi & built by some one eles like Gigabyte or Crucial - 3rd party cards tend to have bigger heat sinks, which may (or may not) help in OC'ing

as far as OC'ing your CPU - you do that through your bios

rather that writting a mile-long post about it - try to look up an OC'ing guide on one of the better tweaking site (hmmm...like this one)

maybe someone else can provide a link - I don't have one handy

No it won't but all the settings should be in your BIOS and the motherboard manual should direct ya to where these settings are found and how they are changed. The only difference is that you'll only be able to overclock via the FSB as no multiplier option is available to ya plus there are some different memory speed settings that I don't know about, yet. :devil win

<small>I wish that someone will do a P4 overclockin' guide though as it's now needed badly</small>
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    <small>I wish that someone will do a P4 overclockin' guide though as it's now needed badly</small>
    You'll have to recruit someone I'm afraid. I haven't used an Intel based system for the past two years or more, so I'm afraid that I won't be of much help.

The basics of overclocking, however, would allow you to use the currnt AMD guide, but some of the particular BIOS settings would differ a bit. But all overclocking is essentially the same as far as FSB adjustments go. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Have no fear guys, I jsut found something out, my alienware pc that is coming in a few days well alienware tweaks and does all that for me, and then offers a program thats like powerstrip but insink with my configuration, so I will already have all of that stuff. Thanks for your help though.

Alienware is one of the few name brands that I'd recommend as they use real parts (that the user can get into) plus tweakout their systems pretty thoroughly before delivery but it does come at a price. :devil:

<small>Maybe come March and one hasn't been done and if someone would like to send me an assortment of the right parts then...... I'm willin' to experiment.</small> :D

Quite right the price was well lets just say a little bit stretching my wallet, but im glad you recommend it, if u do then im happy, ya i understand they tweak it out for u but they also give u a program so u can do it urself :-) Alien Adrenaline i think its called.

Hmm where is my sig?
    Alienware Area-51

1. Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
      ASUS P4T533-C Intel 850E478
      512 MB PC-1066
      80 GB Wester Digital UltraATA
      16x DVD
      PlexWriter 48/24/48A CD-RW
      ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB
      Koolmaxx Video Cooling
      Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1
      Intel Pro/1000 MT Gigabit Adapter