Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking an XP 2400+ with air cooling?

Hi All,

I still getting my system together, and am wondering what speed (roughly) I can expect to get out of an XP 2400+? I've read on a few forums that overclocking a 2400+ to 3000+ isn't too much of a problem with decent cooling.

My problem is I'll be using air cooling with a SLK-800, 80mm->120mm, and a 120mm 85cfm Evercool Aluminium fan (with Artic Silver III). I really want to be able to hit 3000+ stable, will I be able to do this with this cooling system, or should I get the 2600+ instead of the 2400+ to make sure?

The one that got thrown together here (XP2400+ on EPoX 8RDA+ and 2x Corsair PC3500) went straight to the 166MHz FSB with a multiplier of 13.5 which put it straight onto XP2800+ with no probs at all (I just rang the guy but he reckons that's he's quite happy with it atm and will wait till he starts pushin' the FSB after its "bedded in"). I don't know how lucky we were with that setup though as that was my first and only experience with that CPU and mobo so far. :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wow! That's prety neat! Was that with a stock HSF Wiggo?

Why do ya want one? Got several around here now. ;)

No I only use 7+'s on the ones that I build now. :devil win

I've got a few too:D

The 7+'s are a very decent cheapy HS. Hmmm, I think I might take a punt on a 2400+, if I get it to 3000+ then I'll be happy as a pig in sh1t, worth the risk I think as there is a 230 odd dollar difference between a 2400+ and 2600+. I think I'd be better off saving my dosh, especially when I've spent about $175 on my CPU cooling gear! High ambient temp might cause me trouble though.

If I was to build myself another new PC now that would be what I'd be usin' though the missus would probably kill me. ;)

I won't use anything less than a 7+ now as I don't want a PC back here under warranty because it can't stay cool and quiet. :smokin:

Does the 7+ come with a fan as well, or is it just the heat sink? What cfm fans do you use?

The Volcano 7+ comes w/ a 70mm fan w/ 3 speed switch of which low speed is great for stock-slight o/c in a/c enviroments, medium speed is the great allrounder while High speed is only required when pushin' hard or room temps are very high (like here sometimes) but 7k rpm 60mm fans are louder. : peace2:

I'll have an extra 35cfm on a better HS too! I think I have a decent chance of getting it to work :)

Actually I plannin' a little experiment here soon with 4 of those retail HSF's, 2 x 100w peltiers and some water in a leaky evapourative aircooler. :devil win

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information