Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Looking to o/c AMD 1800+ XP

I was thinking about trying to overclock my cpu, amd 1800 xp as I stated in the sub title. But I'm not using any special cooling, only the 2 case fans, one on the side and one on top, and the standard heatsink & fan that came with the retailed cpu. Any advice on how to go about that? And would it really improve my say 3dmark2001 scores? Oh, also I think my cpu is locked cause in the bios it shows up gray and I can't change the speed. I know a fair amount of computer hardware and stuff, I've been working with a guy on building new and repairing old and I've done a lot of messing around on my own. so don't take me as too much of a noob. :D

A very handy page, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wiggo, I've been reading a little of those guides to overclocking, but I kinda overlooked a big section, don't remember which one, but it was about the cpu bus or something, I'm going to read it now, but I was just wondering as it may not answer this question. I was reading about how to unlock the cpu, that you have to connect certain bridges on the cpu itself. But I went into my bios (Phoenix on an Albatron KX400-8X) and I changed the multiplier to 12 (it was set at 11.5) and it automatically recognized the cpu as an AMD 1900 XP and running at 1600. This is probably the section of the guid I skipped over. But if I could just do that. Then what good does unlocking the cpu do?

All nForce and KT400 chipsets have this ability to force change the multiplier but whether the manufacturer impliments it is another thing. So far I believe all nForce mobo's so far can do this but only a handful of KT400's though I believe that for some reason the later chipset doesn't require a Thoroughbred to do this but I can't be certain on that either way atm (can someone pls donate me the relevant CPU's and 2 of the types revelant mobo's, EPoX brand of course). :devil win

Oh yeah, I'm also a little confused with the fact that the AMD 1800 XP has a FSB of 266mhz, but on my bios it's at 133mhz, different bus speed?

You are running at an actual 133MHz but because the signal is double pumped this results in a 266MHz Double Data Rate. ;)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! How could I forget that. Thanks Wiggo. lol.

n/p's ;)

:cheers:

Thread Information