Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7N8X w/nVidia chipset unlocks multiplier?

I keep reading that the nVidia chipsets unlock the CPU for you. I have the Asus A7N8X and in the BIOS it will let me change the multiplier but when I start it up and run WCPUID it says the multiplier is still 13. When i go back into the bios after restart it does say whatever number I upped it to as being the setting...

I don't think this mobo unlocks the multiplier for you, just allows you to change it once it has been unlocked. However, I am not completely sure of this and would like to know the correct answer as well.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

From what i've managed to read, most motherboards with the nforce2 chipset unlock the multiplier but only if the cpu is a T-bred-b core.

Get wiggo to answer, he'd probably know the answer!
    My Comp: Compaq Presario 7478- 533mhz k6-2

(I swear laugh at this and I get out my electromagnets and hunt you down)

I still don't know the diff between amd cpus so what's a thorough bred b core?

Yes the documentation that comes with nForce2 mobos only mentions Thoroughbreds of being able to have their multipliers force changed and I havn't tried a Palamino yet in one to find out for sure. ;)

The difference between the two core types is easy as Palaminos have their details etched to the core while Thoroughbreds have theirs on a sticker attached to the CPU's base. :)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

so since mine didn't have a sticker on it means that mine's the palimino or whatever?

If you can see well enough between the HSF and the base to see no black sticker near the edge then yes you have a Palamino cored one. :(

All XP2200+'s and above are Thoroughbreds (though those 2400+ and above are B revisions) but recents purchases of lower speed XP's may find Thoroughbred A and B cores (B's have a squarer lookin' core to the A's very rectangular one). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

well aiight well sometime soon i might have to just sell this one and invest in a 2200+ or something...

thanks for the help!

what is the difference between the A and B models...aside from the noted speed and shape?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

ok all 2400xp chips are b cores it use to be there were 2 2200xp chips a and b now you can find b cores in 1700/1800/2100 thats all i have seen so far
    A7N8X no delx
    AMD 2400xp@2500mhz 200z12.5
    epox EP-8RDA
    AMD 1700xp@2406mhz 200x12
    ATI 9700pro
    2-256 pc 2700 2.5 sucks need $$ for new ram
    WD 80gb SE hard drive 8cach buffer lol it died running maxto 40gb ata 133 now
    3d mark 2001se 17k
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5633214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information