Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: bios reset ?

Okay first of I would like to say that I have ordered an unlocking kit and a Vantec VA4-C7040 HSF to reach the full overclocking potential, I hope. Last night I thought I would play around with some straight FSB oc. I had no luck with setting anything higher than 139. I'm not really complaining about that what with the retail HSF. Now here is my question when I finally got to the 139 FSB and got windows up ran a few benchmarks some games and no problems. The CPU temp was about 43c the case temp was 24c. I went to reboot and to reset the the FSB back to 133, but wait the system set it back by its self and it came back up as a 1700 (11*133). What's the deal as anyone else heard of anything like this. At one point I thought someone had put a post with a similair problem, but I could not find it. Just as a note if the system was going to do some kind of auto reset why couldn't it do it before so I didn't have to keep clearing the CMOS.

Setting were as follows

11*139
    166 for the mem at normal speed
    APG PCI 67/34 (I think)
    I could not find a way to change it, but I think that's the usual case?
    everything else was normal/stock settings

EPOX 8K5A2
    512 Kingston PC2700
    Radeon 9000 Pro
    80 gig WD
    Linksys 10/100 card
    Antec case with 400 watt PS and 5 80mm fans inside

Pretty strange, maybe your CMOS battery is dying or on the way out and failing to save your settings?

This is the only thing I can think of unless there is a new set of jumpers on the Epox boards to push back to default FSB after each reset... :?:
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I can't say about the resetting of the system speeds, but boards will sometimes do that if they feel that the speeds they ran at last are hazardous. It's kinda like a safety switch built in. EPoX boards are a bit better now, though, as they will just throw a blurb on the POST screen and require you to enter the BIOS and save the settings again if it feels this is the case.

Concerning the FSB overclocking you're doing, kick the memory speeds back down to 133MHz (PC2100 specs) instead of the 166MHz you're running at now. While this is a great feature for those not planning on overclocking, it does no justice to the enthusiast. What it is doing is using the 166MHz speed as a BASE SPEED for your memory. When you crank up the FSB to the processor, it is adding that much more to your fast running memory modules and they will generally refuse to play nicely after a bit.

Good luck! :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I didn't think about the mem thanks. As far as the post about the battery. I don't think so since it's only 2 months old.

Thread Information