Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amd1900, How Fast Can I Push It

I HAVE AN MSI KT3 ULTRA MOBO WITH AN AMD1900 CPU AND 512MB OF SAMSUNG DDR2700. I AM LOOKING TO IMPROVE MY MAD ONION 3D BENCH MARK OF 11,250 HIGHER. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003 CAN MAKE USE OF LOTS OF 3D POWER.
    MY MSI GFORCE 4 TI4200 128MB IS OVER CLOCKED AND SCREAMS.
    MY FSB IS SET TO 139 GIVING ME ALMOST 1700 MHZ. I THINK A 1600 MHZ SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO HIGHER.
    MY BIOS, AMERICAN MEGATRENDS VS. 7.0 ALLOWS ME TO INCREASE THE FSB AND MULTIPLYER. SETTING THE FSB TO 139 AND LEAVING THE MULTIPLYER AT AUT0 IS THE ONLY COMBO THAT WORKS. ANYTHING HIGHER EITHER MAKES MY SYSTEM REBOOT AT WHEN DESKTOP IS ALMOST DONE LOADING OR AT BEST I CAN GET HALF WAY THROUGH MAD ONION 3D2001 BENCHMARK THEN CRASH. I EVEN TRIED LOWERING MY MULTIPLYER TO 11, 11.5 AND STILL NO SUCCESS. BIOS HAS BEEN FLASHED TO LATEST VS.
    AMD1900 IS A 1.6GB RATED AT 1.9, SHOULDN'T I BE ABLE TO OVER CLOCK TO 1.9?

here are some of my bios settings in CAPS
    configure sdram timing by user/spd USER
    sdram freq hclk/hclk+33/spd HCLK+33
    sdram cas# latency 2/2.5 2
    row precharge time 2t/3t 2T
    ras pulse width 5t/6t 6T
    ras to cas delay 2t/3t 3T
    sdram bank interleave disable/2way/4way 2WAY
    sdram burst length 4qw/8qw 4QW
    sdram 1t command dis/en DISABLED
    fast command ultra/fast/normal ULTRA

pci delay transaction dis/en DISABLED
    pci latency timer 32

ddr core volt 2.8
    cpu core volt AUTO

i am overclocking my ti4200 with MSI clock software in dispaly properties memory clock 554 / core clock 315

XP Home
    AMD 1900 W/ VOLCANO #7
    MSI KT3 ULRA MOBO FSB 139
    512 SAMSUNG DDR 2700 (1 STICK)
    MSI TI 4200 128 MB 315/550
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE 5.1
    NETGEAR NIC
    WD 40G ATA 100 ULTRA
    400W GOLD PLATED 2BB FAN
    DELL 21" P1110 FLAT SCREEN
    XP HOME

what pci cards do you have? one of those may be keeping you from going higher...you could also try lowering the multiplier even more
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

oops, didn't look @ your sig...try taking the nic out temporarily and try it again, nic's are a common source of headaches when oc

If you're only getting an FSB of 139 before instabilities crop up, then I would guess that the problem is the memory; or at least the settings for the memory within BIOS.

Check the BIOS and look at the speed that the memory is running at. If I were to take a shot in the dark, I would say that you let the mainboard auto-detect the memory you use and set it accordingly. If this is the case, then your memory is running at 166MHz while the system is running at 133MHz. This is a pretty common thing with the newer chipsets and the advent of PC2700 and higher memory modules. When using this type of setting, your 139MHz FSB equates to memory speeds of 172MHz! Aggressive memory timings will mean very little headroom for overclocking.

To fix this, take the memory settings off auto and select PC2100 (or 133MHz; whichever applies to your BIOS) and then overclock from there. You should be able to get a good deal higher FSB settings and let the whole system make use of the added speed instead of trying to crank up just the memory.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes definately check ya memory setting's as AGP/PCI probs don't start usually till the 145-150MHz FSB range and please turn ya caps off. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

configure sdram timing by user/spd USER
    sdram cas# latency 2/2.5 2
    row precharge time 2t/3t 2T
    ras pulse width 5t/6t 6T
    ras to cas delay 2t/3t 3T
    sdram burst length 4qw/8qw 4QW
    sdram 1t command dis/en DISABLED
    fast command ultra/fast/normal ULTRA

pci delay transaction dis/en DISABLED
    pci latency timer 32

ddr core volt 2.8
    cpu core volt AUTO

i am overclocking my ti4200 with MSI clock software in dispaly properties memory clock 554 / core clock 315
    AMD 1900 W/ VOLCANO #7
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE 5.1
    NETGEAR NIC
    WD 40G ATA 100 ULTRA
    400W GOLD PLATED 2BB FAN
    XP HOME

You'll want to change two settings right off and try your hand at overclocking again. I think you'll see the benefits are there...

Change this setting to HCLK. This will use 133MHz as the base speed of the memory and give you a whole lot more headroom where overclocking is concerned.

Change this setting to 4WAY since this will allow the memory to be used to it's best performance levels.
    My Toys

thanks dude i'll give it a try.
    i think setting to hclk changes my sdram from 333 to 266?
    AMD 1900 W/ VOLCANO #7
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE 5.1
    NETGEAR NIC
    WD 40G ATA 100 ULTRA
    400W GOLD PLATED 2BB FAN
    XP HOME

i do believe that is his point

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    thanks dude i'll give it a try.
    i think setting to hclk changes my sdram from 333 to 266?
    Yes it does. But that is exactly why it gives you headroom to push the FSB higher. When you're running it at HCLK +33, it is running at a base speed of 166MHz (333MHz DDR speeds), which is as high as that memory is designed to work at. Some memory can go higher, some can't. As you push the FSB higher, it also takes the memory higher.

While a normal user will enjoy the added benefit of the faster memory speeds, it doesn't do that much for the true enthusiast unless he has some total Kick-Ass memory that can handle 200MHz+ speeds with ease. You can find this type of memory, but it isn't cheap by any means. I know that a lot of folks have been having good luck with the Corsair PC3500 memory modules, but they're rather proud of those things where price is concerned.

Make sure to let us know how your mission for more speed goes. And also make sure that you benchmark before changing anything and then again after each adjustment. By keeping some simple notes of your scores, you will be able to see which settings work best on your machine. ;)
    My Toys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information