Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions...

Hey everyone, sry I havent replied in awhile, I went on vacation :D . Anywho, thx for all the replies, its helped alot. First, thx for the chart Wiggo, but I'm gonna have to disagree. I have a GF2 MX/MX400, and as you can see, that's second to last on the bottom, lol. However, my friend has Radeon 8500 LE 64mb on the same dell I have, and mine rapes his in UT2k3 :laugh: , I too, am a nVidia guy! : peace2: . Thx for bring up UT2k3, CheeZmonZter. That's the game where I first noticed that my PC semi-sucked for performance. For any of you who play it, I run it in 800x600, 32-bit color, and moderate settings, and with 16 CPU bots, I'm sinking to 20fps . wtf, I know, lol. That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to get some more performance outta this thing. Thx for the offer HogWild, but Dell really screwed us over in comps cause they put alot of anti- "do it yourself" features on their comps, so I'm told by my local comp shop. Therefore, only they can put more PC800 RAM in it for me :mad: . So I'll have to decline, but thx anyways man. I was checkin out a GF4 Ti4600, the looked pretty good. Just throwing this in the air, would it be wiser for me to take out my 256 mb PC800 RDRAM and put in 512mb of PC2100, or just upgrade the 256mb of PC800 RDRAM to 512mb, specifically in cost, ease, and performance boosts. Thx again for all the input people, its helped alot, thx again, Peace, Mista K6

if your friends R8500 is being raped by your MX - something is seriously wrong with your buddy's system

Lol, you're right. :p

Ok, I did some homework and came up with a couple of things. I was looking on www.googlegear.com, and they have a good amount of stuff. I was looking at Memory and Video Cards on there, and this is what I came up with, feel free to give your opinion, advice, or just a shout out.

Under Memory I was looking for my PC800, and it seems that it would be best to buy 512mb all at once. HOwever, I dont know if its 16 bit or 32 bit. As I was pondering this, I found out it doesnt matter! PC800 RAM is pretty damn expensive!
    In 16 bit, Kingston Rambus 512 mb would cost me $232, ouch. 32 bit, a 256 mb card would cost 120, still ouch. Then I was looking further, and they have RAM up to PC3500. Ok, here's the newb question, I'm taking it that the higher the # after PC, the faster it is and the more performance. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Taking that into consideration, 512 mb of Cosair DDR433 PC3500 RAM only costs $178, doesnt sound too bad to me :thumb: . That brings me to another newbie question, what manufacturer of RAM is best, or has the best rep in the field, and what kind would be most compatible with my Dell. I'm beginning to relize that it's a b**** to find something compatible to a Dell . Comments, suggestions, anything is appreciated.

Also, they have tons of video cards there. I was looking specifically at 128mb, and GF4's (I'm a nVidia guy... : peace2: ). Anywho, I came upon Palit Daytona GeForce4 Ti4200-8X AGP 8X 128MB DDR for $151 and a Chaintech GX21 nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200-8X AGP 8X 128MB DDR for $165. Those are just some of the ones there, I have no clue what would be most compatible with my Dell, I'm probably gonna check with the local shop for that. Again, any comments, opinions, advice, anything is helpful. Thx for all the info already, its helped alot. Thx, peace, Mista K6

I would recomend getting a better vid card. The older video cards put more of a strain on the CPU for gaming. I had a Geforce 4 ti 4600 in this system. In UT2K3 I was getting about 130-150 fps in the flyby and about 50-70 in the botmatch, since the card died I am now using an older geforce 256 and only getting about 50 in the flyby. Ram and the video card are way more impportant than the CPU as far as i have ever been able to tell for gaming!

Okay mista, heres the problem you are facing. You are talking about 2 completely different kinds of memory that are NOT compatible. The PC800 is RDRAM and other PC3000,3200,3500 is DDR-SDRAM. They are not interchangeable. To use the PC 3000 and above (PC2100, 2700 as well) it has to be used in a board geared towards DDR. Generally I believed any of the 845 chipsets are a good choice(please correct me if I am wrong folks). All the big name manufacturers make at least one good board that does good at overclocking. You can upgrade your PC800 (RDRAM), I think. I am not too familiar with rambus. Personally, I think DDR is the way to go for the future. Especially with the Dual DDR boards that are coming out now. Who knows, maybe double pumped ddr (quad-ddr) might be just around the corner...How cool would that be.
    Anyway, back to the topic. If you really want to upgrade, get a new motherboard and start from there. Since it IS a dell, you will have to all the things I wrote about earlier. New PSU, new fans, etc.
    I did it all from a Dell 8200 and had a blast doing it. The best part was beating the S*%$ out of the empty DELL box.!!!! Well, gotta run. Good luck to ya Mista!

That graph that I put up only uses standard reference cards and those with specs that are above standard will of course score more but it's just a basic comparison for generalised purposes so no need to be to critical about it. :D

I'm sure Tom will add the FX (once one becomes available). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Hey all, thx for the info. So PC3500 is DDR SDRAM, so that's why its so much cheaper. Thx for all the info Hog Wild, here's the thing tho. DDR SDRAM is cool, but I've been reading up on it, and RDRAM is twice as fast when used with P4 processor (actually, I think that's the only kind of processor it is compatible with). Here's the other thing, they also have PC1066 which is rated at 1066mhz, as apposed to my PC800, which is at 800mhz. It seems to me that 1066 RAM is also RDRAM, and that it is 266mhz faster than my PC800, how much more performance does that work out to? Also, all that rebuilding a comp stuff is nowhere near my ability. For the RAM I do have to ship it back to Dell, cause they are the only ones that can do it, I checked with my local shop. However, putting in the card seems like a simple job that they can do in about 15 min. and then set up the BIOS and what not :thumb: . Anywho, that's all I have for right now, keep posting anything you want, its all been a great help to me, thx, Mista K6 : peace2: .

I definetly agree that AT THE MOMENT rdram is the best for the P4. The PC1066 would definetly give you more juice. However, I personally think that the future wave si going to be the DDR. Seems to me that there is more technological breakthroughs and quicker improvements in DDR. Especially with Dual DDR reall starting to come into it's own over the next 6 months. Like I said earlier, I'm not too familiar with RDRAM, so perhaps my opinion is a bit one sided. However, I don't often read about the next great RDRAM speed right around the corner. Hasn't PC1066 been around for quite awhile? Is there any planned upgrade to thet speed, or is it just SOOOO fast that there is no reason to put out another faster chip at the moment? Seems like I have a lot of reading to do.
    Glad I could help Mista. Good Luck.

Hey all, this is just a little update post. Yah, it looks like I'm gonna yank out my 256mb of 16 bit PC800 and throw in a 512 mb chip of 32 bit PC1066 RDRAM. You're right though Hog Wild, 1066 has been around for awhile, and I'll probably throw some in and then they'll come out with something better :cry: , lol. I have till this summer anyway... Anywho, for all you gamers, the new PC3500 is getting alot of hype, here are some links to the googlegear.com site that have some good info and some comments on it.

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=85013

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=85020

For all of you with Athlon processors, this looks like the future RAM of gaming :thumb: .

Other than that, I think all of my questions are answered for now, thx to everyone who replied to this thread, you've all provided some great advice and info and its helped ALOT. Thx again, peace, Mista K6 : peace2: .

Hey, sry, forgot to ask. What the heck does the EEC in front of some RAM types mean? It seems like its a special option or upgrade or something. Anyword on this would help, thx once again everyone : peace2: . Mista K6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information