Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD XP 2100 Thoroughbred B

I am new to the forum and eager to try my hand at OCing. I have been doing a lot of reading on the board and have a couple of questions regarding my system.

First, do I have to unlock my XP 2100 Thoroughbred B to OC or can I make some simple adjustment in the bios to help increase my PC's performance. (FSB, Voltage, etc...) Im not looking for any insane OCing, just something to to help get the best performance out of my system. Besides, I dont think I want to start messing with my processor and risk ruining it and void my warantee. Basiclly, does the processor have to be unlocked before I can do anything? If not, what are my best OCing options without minipulating the CPu?

I am a bit confused about something else. My processor should be running at sped of 1.73mhz but when I check the speed in windows XP it shows I am at 1.30mhz. (my computer => properties => CPU speed) Why is this speed so much slower that what the chip is said to do?

Here is the overview of my system:
    AMD XP 2100 Thoroughbred B
    Biostar M7VIQ Mobo
    512mb DDR PC2100
    Volcano 6
    300w PS

Thank you for any help in advance!

well I have the same cpu and it has two "pre-defined" speeds at which it runs at in the bios. one is 1.73ghz which is the supposed speed of an athlon xp 2100+ the other is 1.33ghz which is a safe-mode type speed that my computer ran at when I had a faulty ram stick.

Now if you go into your bios ( i see a V on your motherboard name so I assume you have a VIA chipset so firstly go to www.viahardware.com and download the 4 in 1 drivers for your mobo) when in the bios go to the section where all the cpu information is stored. there should be a cpu speed tab saying your speed under my motherboard there are 3 options auto, 1.300ghz and 1.733ghz if yours does not have that then there should still be a way of changing it to 1.73ghz. save settings and reboot

heres the scary bit, when I had a faulty ram stick my system would crash nearly instantly or If i tried to run any games. what you should do is check what xp reports your speed to be and if it is 1.73 now and your system is running fine then hey presto you r sorted go play some games at your new speed, but if it still reports 1.3ghz go back to the bios and make sure the change has taken place. (it might be resetting the speed through some kind of safe-mode like my mobo does). if it does say 1.73 and your comp is crashing like a mother, then remove a ram stick |( if you only have one then borrow one froma friend) start your comp and if it runs fine then you know what was wrong. repeat for the other if the symptoms persist.

other than that i don't really know. Thats what I did when i installed mine and now it runs like a beast. remember to check your temperature aswell after changing the speed (if it is running close to the 80 mark then you need better cooling) my pc used to run at 70 no problems but for safety sake its best to keep it below 60 (especially if u want to overclock anything)

jesus i rambled on for ages and I don't think i even had more than one thing in there to try ..... sorry for making it so lengthy.

Thanks Omen! I will try this tonight when I get home.

What about OC'ing? Can I do any adjustments without manipulatingthe procesor?

I looked for the 4 in 1 drivers on the link you gave me but cant seem to find the download. Can you point me in the right direction. My chipset is the VIA KM266/VT8235.

Thanks

Get ya VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers here, http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2 ;)

Ok do ya really want my honest opinion here? :?:

Bad luck as ya goin' to get it anyway. :D

I'd be very surprised to start with if ya mobo has the necessary facilities required for overclockin' as Biostar is basically an OEM manufacturer. Ya memory also is not up to spec with the CPU either as PC2700 is needed for that and lite overclockin' but PC3200/3500 is what's really required. Now onto ya HSF (sorry dude but ya need to know the facts), that Volcano 6 just won't cut the mustard and the miniumum of a Volcano 7+ is necessary (or Volcano 11 if ya deaf) as overclockin' produces much more heat than a Volcano 6 can handle safely (also look at ya case's airflow to as plenty of cool fresh air is needed here). : peace2:

Really an nForce2 mobo will let you have full control of the CPU without the need to make mods to it and 2 x 256MB PC3200 memory will have the dual memory controller singin' with a 7+ keepin' things cool. Damn that's nearly the spec's of my next PC. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information