Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point will hardware fry?

Hi everyone! I am simply writing to find out at what temperature hardware begins to fry, melt, and do other evil, permanent things. Thanks!
    BACON!

A lot will depend on the hardware in question for those answers but throwin' them all in a blastfurnace will most certainly do evil, permanent things. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

haha! Of course! *runs off to the furnace*

Hm, well, what is a temperature you should stay away from?
    BACON!

As Wiggo said, a lot of it depends on the hardware in question. I can't talk about Intel since I haven't used that line for quite a while, but AMD processors should stay at temperatures below 60-65C to ensure no harm to the brains of the rig. Of course, I am not happy with anything higher than 45C tops. My current setup generally doesn't come even close to breaking 40C so all is well here. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks Darthtanion and Wiggo! I'm using a PIII 733 on an intel processor. Anyone have any suggestion at what it should stay at to be safe?
    BACON!

oh, one more thing. Would those temperatures be safe for everything else on the inside? Thanks!
    BACON!

A PIII I'd start to worry about about it if temps went over 45C as these are cool runnin' CPU's but they do have insurance built in to avoid heat damage so it's really not an issue here but just something to keep an eye on as with all later Intel CPU's (AMD has only very recently started to travel this path). Ya video card may run a bit hotter depending on what it is but try to keep ya case temps no more than 8C above room temps as anymore is a sure sign that not enough fresh air is goin' thru the case (even lower is better). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Actually 75 C, 135 F is the P3's temp limit before the processor turns itself off (throttle limit is 60 - 65 C i can't remember) ... But if your going over 50 C, there's a deeper problem as wiggo said :) They run cool
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

Hi,

I just checked my temps on my Athlon XP 1700+, running at about 50C during normal use, and ive caught it at 59-60C after a game of Battlefield, tho at times ive seen it hit a low of 46. Im a little worried that i may fry it. I overclocked it to 1583mhz (144 FSBx11, VCore 1.510)) running the stock AMD HSF and no csae fans :O (i know i know i need fans). Is this safe or should I try to lower the temps?

Also, whats a good way to tell my CPU Temps? im using a program that came with the gigabyte MoBo.

get a better cooler!!! now your CPU is in dire peril!!!!....now seriously you should ditch the stock HSF and get a better one you will see a drastic reduction in temperatures...the TT Volcano 7+ seems to be a very popular one as it is quiet and efficient, The cooler that I run the OCZ Goliath is as efficient but is a lot louder due to the fan speeds required to cool the cpu. At 100% cpu usage (gaming or Seti) I typicaly run temps in the 40/42c range and at idle i get temps around 35 or so. and that s with ambient temps around 29. SO go get a better cooler and add a case fan or two :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information