Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer freezes at boot up

And look how it works...

The four pads keep the glass pretty stable, even when knocked slightly, the glass stays on it's coaster in a up-right position. :D

not very comforting, if I say so myself...

You have tried putting the CPU FSB and multiplyer back to how it should be?

And also, where does it stop working? On or just after the POST screen? Or when it's trying to load up the OS? Because the OCed FSB could mess up some of the data on your HDD, thus you might have to format your computer, and re-install everything.

If not, just try taking things out, and putting things back in, after you check that everything in your bios is set to how it should be that is ;)

Before I tried OCing the system, the FSB was set as 100MHz, and the multiplier was set as Auto. I used TweakXP to check out the stats of the CPU, and it said the CPU was running at 1281MHz. I was not satisfied with this, so I went to the BIOS, and changed the FSB to 133MHz. The CPU then became 1825MHz (or something like that). Then I became a bit greedy and pushed it up to 145MHz. I restarted the computer, and the screen remained blank. I resetted the BIOS, and started the computer up. Thats when it froze for the first time. From then on, after many attempts of taking things out, changing settings, it still hangs at the same place. It freezes after all the IDE devices are detected. It just stays at the place where it shows Primary IDE: Hard Disk and stuff like that. I don't think it could be the HD, because it does not even search for a boot up device. Anyway, its getting pretty late... I'll try the floppy disk flashing tomorrow. I most probably will need help, so try your best to be here in about 12 hrs :p

:wave:

Are you out of your goddamn mind, a jump from 100 to 133 your so lucky you woulda had a fried system err...i mean paper weight.:flames: Do you have water cooling because i have NEVER heard of a 600 mhz jump on air...lucky *******
    "Dyslexic, glue-sniffing cybersluts with homicidal minds and handguns: the "Better part of our generation" - XxAnticurexX

Err, all of the Athlon XP chips can handle 133MHz FSB OCed Mind person.

I was running that chip for over 3 months(xp2000) and I can tell you trying everything short of unlocking the bridges that 145 FSB is about the highest it will run stable.Check my sig: my temps were not that far from where they are in sig and 133x145@1812 is about at the limit......Good Luck.JS
    Epox8KHA+ XP2100:B:AIUHB:0250@15x150 WINXP: SonyDVD16X : Sony48x12x48: AbitGF4Ti200@290/590 SK6+

I've tried the CTRL-HOME BIOS installation, but it still boots normally and hangs at the exact same spot. When does the motherboard try and look for the disk with the BIOS in it? Is it during the booting sequence? Or before that? If it's during the booting sequence, it wouldn't work, since I can't get to the booting sequence.

Thanks.

Okay I maybe stating the obvious so if you've done this sorry. Well first off I have to note that you were not happy with the performance of your 2000+ because you had the FSB wrong. It should have been 133 to start with at 12.5 times not 100. Make sure you disconnected the power, reset the CMOS and anything else the manual says you should do. After you start it back up actually go into the bios and verify the setting mem speed, fsb, multi and anything that is there. I know with mine and probably different with other boards they have their own factory settings and they may not be compatable with your hardware. Now you said earlier that you took the CPU out and verified that it was not charded or anything. Did you set it correctly with the HSF? Did you clean it up good and reapply some thermal paste? I know these may seem like stupid questions, but I know that I sometimes overlook the obvious and assume that I really messed up.

I didn't really clean up the CPU and reapply the paste.. I sorta reused the old paste. I'll try and get more thermal paste, and reapply it to check if anything will change. Plus, I'm not sure about what the settings of my BIOS should be. Is there any websites which can serve as a guide? I don't really feel like adjusting any settings by myself, seeing that it was the thing that cause all this!

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information