Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer freezes at boot up

I just recently tried overclocking my AMD XP 2000+, by adjusting the FSB settings. I managed to get it running at 133MHz, and the computer would be able to boot up fine. Then, I tried an FSB of 145MHz. When I restarted, it would hang at the Intel network booting screen (when I had the network card plugged in). I then removed the network card, and the computer would boot up to the part where it detects the HDs and CDROMs, and then it gives one short beep, and stays at the screen. It does not reach the part when it tries to boot from a device. I tried resetting my BIOS, but the same thing happens. I also tried unplugging all the HDs and CDROMs and all, and still the same thing. Here are my specs:

AMD XP 2000+
    MSI KT4V
    256 DDR RAM (333)
    GeForce4 64MB MX440

Thanks!

Have you cleared the cmos back to its default?

You shouldn't step up your FSB that high without doing intervals of at least 3 MHz.

I doubt it, but either your memory or CPU may of been damaged because of the OCed FSB, so try taking out a stick of RAM (If you have more than one stick in) and test it, then do the same with the other (Note: it won't work without a stick of RAM, so when testing to find a faulty component, always have one in).

If this doesn't work, try taking off the heatsink from your CPU (preferably when it's not on :p ) and check to see if there's any burn marks on the chip, or even any discolouration around the chip.

But before you do any of this, check to see if you have cleared the CMOS with the jumper on the Mobo, and remember to put the jumper back in it's default place after clearing the CMOS, as some Mobo's don't work when the jumper is still on the 'Clear CMOS' pins.

I hope it all works out for you, without burning a hole in your pocket.

I've tried to clear the CMOS, but still, the same thing happens. It seems that when the computer tries to boot up, it just hangs. I can't even press CTRL-ALT-DEL. I've also checked for any discolouration or burn marks on the CPU, and there are none. Is there any way to check if there's something wrong with the board, instead of the CPU?

I've also tried it with two different sticks of RAM, but to no avail.

Thanks.

Okay, try downloading the latest bios for your Mobo:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...2&NAME=MS-6712

And extract the "a6712vms.170" file to a disk, and rename it "AMIBOOT.ROM" now put it in your computer when it's off, and hold down "CTRL + HOME" or "SHIFT + HOME" (I can't remember which one it was, but one of them will work) And turn on your computer, if it starts searching through the disk drive, then you're in luck, your Mobo is probably still okay, let it load the bios, and wait till it bleeps four times, and you can no longer hear the disk drive hacking away (It should reset itself, so you shouldn't have to do it manually) And hope that it all works again.

If neither of these key combinations work, then there's a big probability that your Mobo is cooked, but it shouldn't be, as it supports an FSB of 166MHz which is higher than what you were OCing it at.

I'm in the process of performing the BIOS flash (btw, its CTRL-HOME), and I just wanted to ask whether heat could be the culprit. My CPU temp is 56C. Is that considered "hot"?

Thanks.

Well it all depends, if that's an external CPU temperature, then that's pretty damn HOT!

But if it's an internal temperature, then it's doing pretty well.

Mine has a constant 57C internal, and 42C external which is fine, but if your external temperature is 56C (Which I doubt very much) then your internal temperature will be around 70C, which is pretty hot, but shouldn't damage the chip as it can take heats of around 90C.

Anyway, how'd you get the temps of your CPU when your comp' isn't working? :?:

Hey, look! It's my expensive coaster! :D

Look at what happened to my old Thunderbird... The chip just disintergrated after overclocking it's FSB.... It's weird, it has turned from a light brown-ish colour, to a moldy green, lol... Well, at least without the cam it looks like that...

A VERY expensive mistake :p

My CPU temp is 57, and my System temp is 34. I'm able to access the BIOS, but if the boot up continues, it hangs.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information