Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Helpnewclocker?

I hope someone can help a relatively new clocker, just got the taste for squeezzing speed out of my systems but cant find the solid info I want. Any answers to these Q? would be helpful to stop me burning down the flat in a desperate attempte at not cooking my cpu!!!

Can anyone tell me about unlocking an xp2200 and an xp2600?
    Does anyone know about changing the clock multiplier on the gig 7vaxp?
    Also can a jetway 663aspro be used with an althlon with a 266fsb?

:devil win :devil win :flames: Up in smoke?

Greetings!

First off, stay away from the Jetway branded motherboards if you have any real intentions of overclocking. While they aren't too bad from a stability point of view, they generally don't allow for the options necessary for the true enthusuiast.

Before we get into the motherboard you currently have, let me point you to an Overclocking Guide that we put up not too long ago. Though it is designed for the Palamino processors, a vast majority of the information will be useful to get you up to speed concerning the art of overclocking. The only parts that will not apply to your situation is where it talks about unlocking the processor. Since you'll be running the newer Thoroughbred variety, there is a different method to use in this chore.

Now, on to your current motherboard (or at least it looks as if you already have this board). Since it uses the KT400 chipset, you're off to a good start. Though some of the Gigabyte branded boards aren't that friendly to the enthusiast crowd, but this animal seems to have some useful settings to make use of. Experimentation and patience are the two most useful tools when it comes to overclocking, so use a bit of trial and error and you'll be flying high in no time.

With regards to the unlocking of the processor, check the motherboard first by trying to make the changes without unlocking it first. Some of the KT400 and nForce2 chipsets are made to allow the use of a special feature built into the chipset... manipulating the multiplier without unlocking. My current EPoX board allows this, but I don't know where the Gigabyte board fits into this. If you find that the unlocking of the processor is still necessary, then check out this thread which talks about this very topic.

Finally, if you don't already have this Gigabyte board, then take a look at some of the newer nForce2 based models. They are currently giving the best performance numbers for the AMD line of processors and tend to overclock well also.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The jetway board is one that I may get as a freebie with a duron 800, I was considering using it as a second machine for lan gaming and diagnostics. Any spasific nVida boards u would recomend although I already have the gigabyte. The GA bored doesnt seem to have any way to change the multiplier in BIOS although it does come with easy-tune but this wont alow me to change it at the moment, thats why I was thinking about unlocking the chip. would you recomend any boreds for OC the Duron?:devil win

that jetway uses a kt133 chipset, it is 100mhz only, wont overclock much at all with fsb. I don't think it is worth buying a board to overclock a duron.

The ga-7vaxp multiplier is supposedly adjustable with a dip switch. If you are using a 2200 or 2600 the board will PROBABLY unlock them, most kt400 do.

Download the gigabyte manual here:

http://www.giga-byte.com/support/msocketa.htm#7vaxp

Your correct, the Giga-byte has DIP switches. I found it relatively good for OCing though im sure not the best. Im not sure if the chipset unlockes it or not. Im able to adjust my multiplier, i think i had it down to 5 at one point, 9.5 ATM.

I wouldnt suggest using Easy Tune, I found it a little clunky at times but I think :confused: it does work...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What would you recomend other than easytune, although Ive only been using the bios for OCin really, I mainly use easytune for checking on temps. My clock multiplier seems to be at 13.5 according to easytune. I thought 2200s were supposed to be 12.5. I dont remember doing anything to change this. Ive got my temps at aroiund 35-system & 45 cpu, sound OK?

CheekuTech 2000
    Gigabyte 7vaxp
    Ahthlon XP2200 @ 1.94ghz (13.5x144)
    Gigabyte Radeon 9700 pro
    1x 512ddr pc2700 333mhz
    soundblaster player 5.1
    60gb Dimondmax 72000
    550w q-tech psu
    Zalman cnps6000
    2x80mm papst case fans
    2x80mm xp fans
    globalwin IcestormII (inverted)