Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CPU/Motherboard combo help needed!!!

Hi All,

This is my first post on these forums. I have been a member of the Rage3d and nvnews forum for a while now. I just thought that when it comes to over clocking you guys seem to be better suited than the other 2.

Anyway to cut it short I am looking to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard and I could really do with some help.

My first overclocking project has been basic but has served its purpose. Free performance and a good learning curve.

The next step is what is cuurently the cream of the crop.
    The 1.8A CPU I have has been great and so has the Asus board.

I would like to have a setup that will overclock to at least 3.0GHz but at the same time not going to older boards but rather newer board like either the Granite, SiS655, 845PE or the likes...

I have an AVC sunflower which seems to be one of the better coolers but i could be wrong. I am not ready to jump to water cooling as of yet so I need a setup that would be fine on the SVC sunflower.

I have owned Asus through my last 5 Motherboards but I have heard great things about Abit and Epox.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    My sig...

P41.8A @ 2.4 (533Mhz Bus)
    Asus P4S533 (SiS 645DX)
    1.44Fdd (sony)
    2 x Samsung 256MB PC-2700
    1 x 80Gig 7200 W/D
    SB Augidy Gamer
    Netgear 10/100 Nic
    Sony 16x DVD
    Buslink 32x12x40
    Ati 9700(non-pro)
    running Cat3.0
    Powercolor evil commando
    (Gold edition)
    Ms Natural Keyboard
    Ms Intellimouse explorer (white)
    Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
    Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
    Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, Blue flourescent, 430Watt Enermax........... and of course
    WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
    -- RanglerGRS --

Ya asus is good.I don't know that much about overclocking either,but try an asus a7n8x nforce2 with an amd xp2800
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

If intel, the asus p4pe or Albatron px845pe. The 2.4 533 mhz cpu is about $190 and can overclock to 3 gigs on those boards. These boards will support hyperthreading as well, should you ever want to invest in a better processor.

If Amd, the epox 8rda+ and xp2400 will get you to 2.6-2.7 mhz and outperform the Intel.

I looked at a sunflower review, and it is hard to tell how it will cool an extreme overclock. I use the volcano 7+ on both AMD and intel and know that it will work, but at the highest speed setting it shrieks.

Thanks a bunch guys. This is definately good feedback.
    I would prefer to go the Intel route but I am not totally leaving out the AMD option.

And keep the ideas coming...
    My sig...

P41.8A @ 2.4 (533Mhz Bus)
    Asus P4S533 (SiS 645DX)
    1.44Fdd (sony)
    2 x Samsung 256MB PC-2700
    1 x 80Gig 7200 W/D
    SB Augidy Gamer
    Netgear 10/100 Nic
    Sony 16x DVD
    Buslink 32x12x40
    Ati 9700(non-pro)
    running Cat3.0
    Powercolor evil commando
    (Gold edition)
    Ms Natural Keyboard
    Ms Intellimouse explorer (white)
    Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
    Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
    Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, Blue flourescent, 430Watt Enermax........... and of course
    WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
    -- RanglerGRS --

Thread Information