Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Was ist overclocking?

Hey everyone! Awesome forum. It is really cool. I really love the articles here too. Can't wait to explore the rest of the site after typeing this question.

What is overclocking? I hear this term used every time I come on here and it is driving me absolutely nuts. As a subscriber of Maximum PC I should already know, but I don't yet. Your response would be most appreciated. Hey check out my other question about v-cards in the video-card forum.

Eternal and Extreme CHAOS!!!

Simply put overclocking is operating the hardware (CPU) at beyond the manufacturer reccomended speed.

This is achieved by adjusting the speed of the FSB (Front Side Bus) and on non-Intel processors, the multiplier can be adjusted as well.

ie.
    FSB = 133 X Multiplier of 12 = 1596 (1.6 Ghz)
    bump the FSB a bit,
    FSB = 138 X Multiplier of 12 = 1656 (1.65 Ghz)
    jump that multiplier a step,
    FSB = 138 X multiplier of 12.5 = 1725 (1.72 Ghz)

It's a matter of sqeezing more performance from your PC.
    A rather delicate yet rewarding pasttime.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

yes. as mr c said,, overclocking is to make ur FSB (front side bus) or/and ur mutiplyer higher/

But u dont want to overclocker that much,or u may fry or Kill ur CPU. GOod cooling is the key to overclocking, try good old air cooling first, alot of peeps and i like to use the Tt 7+. IF u want to get the most power in ur CPU, then use watercooling.

If u use ATHLOn XP, then u want to change ur mutiplyer to a bit lower, and then make ur fsb high,
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

I don't think that will much help Chaos with his PII 266:rolleyes:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=9624
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

o, wow, a PII !!! thats like rare now eh?? can u even get one now??

i read his forum,, and if he want to watch DVD on his computer,,then i would upgrade to a p 3 or something that is cheaper,, i use a P3 533 mhz ( overclocked to 556 mhz last week ,.lol) for my web searching computer,, and i can run DVD OK,,but it cant do muti task when a movie is played.......

o,, and if u guys wonder what program i use to overclock my P3, i use a prgram called CPU FSB. i
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

Thread Information