Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need more speed!

I have an HP xe783 and it's an okay pc, but it isn't too good for gaming. The specs are:

700 MHz celeron processor
    319 MB SDRAM
    30 GB HD
    GeForce 4 MX420 PCI (i added this and 256 to the ram)

I am willing to spend up to 150 dollars to upgrade, but i want at least something that will be able to play ES3: Morrowind without much or any slowdown. It is about 2 years old and has Windows ME. Plz help or this may some day happen to my computer

:shoot3: :snip:

Right now, I'd say the upgrade that would give you the greatest improvement in performance would be a new CPU. Processors are relatively cheap right now: a 1.8ghz Intel Celeron will cost about $70, a 2.0ghz Intel Celeron will go for around $85; that's almost 3 times your current CPU's speed :wow: . It's a good deal :thumb: . I dont know what kind of mother board you have, but if you already have SDRAM, you might wanna put some more in, say 2 256mb modules (check how many slots you ahve filled at the moment, my guess is 3, you might have to take some of your old RAM out and replace it with new and bigger modules). RAM is cheaper than dirt right now :rofl: so buy away. You need to check what kind of SDRAM you have, i.e. PC133, PC150, etc. (I dont think DDR RAM was common then, so you most likely dont have PC2100 or upwards). A 512mb module of PC133 is only $70, so if you slap in one of those too, you'll have all the RAM you need. Also, if the GF4 MX420 is relatively new, I'd suggest trading it in and getting a GF4 Ti4200. They're a real bang for your buck card, and give you massive performance that I've found the MX cards dont. Of course you could go over to radeon and get a 9500 or 9700 if you wanted to too. Basically, a little more RAM and a faster CPU should give you all the performance you need. Take your PC to a shop (unless your really good with comps, installing a processor is a somewhat more complex process) and get the CPU installed; they can do it in 30 min. The RAM is easy, just put it in . All in all, it'll cost you maybe $140-160. Not bad. I got my prices from www.googlegear.com . They have really good stuff and for cheap, and second day delievery is usually free, check em out. Anyways, I've been rambling long enough :blah: . That was my :2cents: . Peace : peace2: , Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Well a PIII mobo (most likely a 810 Intel mobo or similar from the sound of it) will not take a P4 Celeron and 512MB of memory with a Win9x os is likely to have stability probs (and ME is the worst 9x os M$ released and not very stable to start with) plus SDRAM will only strangle a modern CPU.

hktnfonxwrkt4me, name brand PC's are basically untweakable without major surgery and I recommend that ppl in your position seriously consider building themselves a proper PC as it will be better to do so in the long run. : peace2:

I'm afraid that I will have to dissent here a little bit.

While the advice given above is generally good, there are two things to consider in your particular situation; chipset and OS.

Chipset - Your machine uses the Intel i810 chipset. Basically this is an updated version of the aged i440BX, so your upgrade path is very limited. While I couldn't find an actual maximum processor speed that it will support on the Intel site, the HP site lists the Celeron 700 as the highest supported replacement processor.

OS - Since you are using WinME, you will find yourself rapidly closing in an the amount of memory that it will support. Generally, if you can get any Win9x based OS to play nicely with anything over 256MB, then you're doing very well for yourself. Chances are good that if you go any higher than what you currently have installed, you'll run into huge stability issues.

Sorry to say, but you are reaching the ceiling on what your current rig can do. You might look into some system tweaks and maybe a software based tool that will allow you to adjust the FSB for overclocking, but that's about all. My best recommendation would be to save up some money and go ahead and get a newer machine; and not a pre-made like you currently have now. At least this way you can replace individual components to upgrade instead of having a proprietary mess that is difficult to do much with.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

On top of all that Morrowind eats up resources faster than any game ive ever seen :(. Even on my brand new rig (see sig) I still only get 35-40 fps average :thumbs do . Its one hell of a game though :D. If u wanna see why morrowind runs so damn slow on every comp ever made play it in wireframe mode for a little while, the game engine renders things that u cant even see, so u can be standing in front of a wall and everything behind the wall is still being rendered :thumbs do . Damn lazy programmers

Okay, thanks you guys. I think ill wait until i get around 400 dollars and build one but use my graphics card (for a while until i get a TI card), modem, cd drive, maybe HD, floppy drive and the moniter and stuff and build this:

AMD Athlon 2400+
    256 DDR ram
    30 or more GB HD
    GeForce 4 TI4200 8X
    Cheftec clear case
    400 watt power supply

That's my goal, and again, thanks.

Get 512mb of ram, especially if your gaming, it seems to be XP's sweet spot

celerons < 1400mhz Socket370 ... 1500 < Socket 487 ... so he would need to buy a need mobo too?

im pissed off cuz my mobo supports over 2 ghz but there is not enough fast socket370 processors

this should be right around 150 for a good processor and you can use your old ram. Or the shuttle ak32 motherboard will work also.
    Athlon Xp 1700+ T-bred B
    Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0
    512 mushkin DDR 400
    radeon 9500np

An ECS K7S5A is a POS and not a mobo to recommend to anyone, especially someone who's already askin' for more. :rolleyes2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information