Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Pentium 4 Overclocking

I've got a Pentium 4 (3.06 GHz) Processor and have tried overclocking it several times. Unforunately Intel long ago decided to lock the multipiers so FSB overclocking is required. However, that overclocks the other system buses as well. (AGP, PCI, RAM, etc.) Windows and other media application run well, even very intensive programs like Photoshop and Premiere run flawlessly. But when it comes to games my system can't hadle them overclocked. (Especally UT2003)! Any suggestions for stability? Voltage setting maybe? How about FSB speed in general...what would you set it to?

Specs:
    -Intel Pentium 4 (3.06 GHz Stock) Processor
    -Asus P4G8X Deluxe Motehrboard (E7205 Chipset)
    -1 GB Corsair DDR PC-3200 RAM
    -ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    -Windows XP Professional

Unlike upping the CPU multiplier, increasing your FSB affects your entire setup, so you may indeed need to add some juice to those components in order to stabilize them.

Since it seems that you're new to overclocking, you should check out the overclocking guides. They should answer most of the questions you have.

hmmm...a money is no object computer, im starting to see more and more BUT now on topic...what heatsink are you running and what your types, when you use a game enguine your pushing your cpu 24/7 (well actually all the time the game is running) and the heat can affect...also up your vCore but try not to go over 1.7
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Sweet computer you got there my friend.. :eek: :wow:

What type of case cooling and power supply do you use..:?:

That insane hardware is producing ALOT heat even at stock speeds so you must be sure to run it with a proper system cooling solution if you want to overclock it.. :rolleyes2

:cheers:

hehe, he is one of the few that can afford it, heh imma wait until i fully upgrade everything b/c of all the new technology that is coming out soon

I tried turning the voltage up it fixed everything but UT2003. I read that game like the original is very sensitive to overclocking, so ill just go with that if I need to play UT2003 I'll just return to defaults. Thanks for the help! As for cooling I just have fans. (2 front intakes, two in the back, power supply of course, cpu, video, and card cooler, and a blow-hole up top) My room is in the basement so it keeps pretty cool all year round.

Nice Computer:lips: :lips:
    I've seen some motherboards (in reviews) that can actually lock the AGP/PCI speed settings. But, you were right and wrong about the OC'ing thing in UT2K3... It is only sensitive to OC'ed video cards, not the processor. I know from experience. I have to downclock my card whenever I play now. But it isnt that bad. Unless u play REALLY competivley, u won't mind it just freezing in the actuall game-play, becuase it will reinitiate after a few seconds (the max i've ever had to wait on my ancient system is 20 seconds)
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

UT2003 doesn't give me any problems, I play it on this systems without any problems and as u can see I have OCed the Shizzee out of my P4 2.4... I don't suggest upping the Vcore unless you have too... and as you have already and found out u still have problems with UT2K3, then the Vcore isn't the problem. If your motherboard give you the ability, like mine does, to up the voltage on your RAM, I would try that. It solved some of my crashing problems. Also... How far are u OCing your CPU and your GPU? Heat is the thing to monitor when OCing. I've never heard of UT2K3 being sensitive to OCing. My vid card is OCed from 324/310 to my game settings of 385/338... Then again I have this HSF bolted directly to the core...:eek: :D :laugh:

-Hawks :cheers:

BTW, Tool... You happy TT forums are finally back up??? :wow: :geek:
    <center>| Processor: P4 2.4B OCed @ 3.2Ghz | MoBo: Albatron PX845PE Pro II |
    | OS: Windows XP Pro | RAM: OCZ 512MB PC3500 OCed @ 445 mhz |
    | Graphics: Radeon ATI 9700 Pro @ 395/345 | Temp: 32C normal, 35C full |
    | 3DMark2001: 18094 | 3DMARK03: 5763 | PCMARK02: Score |
    | Sound: SB Live 5.1 | Cooling: Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF |
    | PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480W | Mouse: Logitech MX300 |</center>

yes its been TOO long hehehe but ur never on AIM anymore so...

Thread Information