Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The KD7E overclock with BARTON

I have the new Barton 2500+ and I can get it to run by setting the "list" from 2500+, 2600+, 2800+ but as soon as I go to do a "manual" setting and try to set the FSB to something conservative like 170 MHz It seems to freeze up the mouse. I have a Logitec USB mouse, but plugged into the adapter and using the PS/2 connector.. it's one of those optical mice. er mouse.

I had better luck OC' my T-breed 2100 ver b and actually got better benchmarks on it than I have so far on this Barton.

Is 170 MHz too much of a jump? I had the multiplier set to something like 10 at that FSB. At least I think I had set the FSB to 170.

:?:
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

I am using a Logitech Mouseman Dual-Optical, and perhaps it could be your mouse, but I have four reasons why you shouldn't be using the ps/2 adapter.
    • It slips out really easily
    • USB is noted to have more 'precision' I noticed that when I use USB instead of the adapter, I do not get some of the movement problems I did in the Half-Life engine any more . NOTE: Using USB instead of ps/2 will make you more 1337 ;)!
    • It's ugly
    • It well... It sucks mokay! :shoot2:

Sooo I suggest you use the USB, w/out the stupid friggin-darn adapter. Also make sure you have sufficent cooling, and no dustbunnies. The better shape your hardwares in, is all the better for o/c'ing.

BTW: It would be helpful if you posted your specs.
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

There shouldn't be a problem, becuase i think Bartons can only run at 166 MHz max. The only thing i can think of is that if u are putting the mouse into some add-on USB-card thats on the PCI bus, then it could be REALLY cheap and not even work with that small OC.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Not the USB adapter, but rather a RAM situation as it only happens when I mess with the FSB of the processor and it affects the ram AND also the entire system. I've had it up to 3000+ running stable in benchmark and other tests by upping the voltage a bit. I've seen other Barton users who have upped their FSB up to 364.46 FSB so the BARTON is certainly overclockable. I went from 1.83 GHz to 2.16 GHz with no problems, if I do it by using the settings of 3000+ rather than the "User Define" settings in the BIOS.

I'll attach a picture of this other guy's WCPUID to show you the overclock.;)
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner

jenefarm@direcway.com

If you have PC2100 ram and want a FSB of over 133...well good luck LoL. For me I can set the Ram multiplyer 2.0 and 2.5 and auto...but 166 * 2 = 333 which is over 266 (which pc2100) is at so your ram is holding you back...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Yes some good PC3200/3500 memory is what ya goin' to need if ya really want to explore the darkside (Corsair is my choice). :devil win

oh my god corsair XMS with Low latency can be the fastest ram if use right

ok... let's recap. I was running my PC2700 at 333MHz when I try to adjust the FSB over 166. (166*2=332 a-la- 333) The optical mouse shouldn't be a problem, it is hooked to the ps/2 port of the mouse not USB. Reason I use the ps/2 instead of USB?? Ever had to boot into safe mode in Win 98 or ME? USB wont work and if your mouse is direct connected in USB, no mouse. PS/2 always works even in USB. Also Linux like it a bit better.

I've had it where I'm scrambling around looking for another ps/2 mouse or that adapter and anyways, that really should not make a difference.

What is funny is that the PS/2 mouse port freezes up if there is a FSB error and I'm not sure if it's connected to memory or to the inability of the Northbridge to communicate well with the peripherials.

I've run my Crucial PC2100 at 166 MHz * 2 or 333, and that's what's in the computer at this moment, and the PC2100 is running at 333 quite nice and even benchmarks pretty good. The CAS ( Column Address Strobe) is set at default of 2.5, which the DDR RAM is rated at, but I have shortenend some of the other values in timing. some.. not all.. won't take all tweaks, Enhanced the RAM, and set to "HIGH" on the drive strength. Timing by "SPD" but the FSB timing is 166.

Below is an image of my WCPUID on this board with the PC2700 Dane-Electric 512 MB RAM and the processor set at 3000+ aka 2.16285 GHz.

Seeing the above posts while I made up this post *S* I have ordered a stick of Kingston Hyper X series memory PC2700 CAS latency 2 from newegg. Wiggo must have gone to bed.. darn.. If he'll email me I'd give him a jingle over the land line.. *phone*
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner

jenefarm@direcway.com

i can still help you LoL!!!! jebusss no respect...j/k j/k wiggo is all knowing but raise your FSB to 167 b/c i've found even if your ram is .5 below its rating it is a lot slower (always overclock not underclock)

167 is not much different than what I have now.. which is 166. I think I need to think about 169 or 170 and a multiplier of 12 That will keep it in the same ball park of MHz that it's in now. Temps are not a problem. I never see anything above 36 since I modified my case. I've seen it all the way down to 17 C idle one time.. air:D
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner