Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why is there such a lack of releases for pc games

Default Re: why is there such a lack of releases for pc games

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    I just foolishly made the jump to DX10 and hope I don't get too disappointed.
    What do you mean "foolishly"? You will be disappointed partly. There are no real DX10 titles to speak of but the good news is you are ready for the upcoming titles that do use DX10.

I can not wait to play a TRUE DX10 title. Most games out now that support DX10 only support some DX10 features.

I figure by the time DX10 is main st**** there will be way better DX10 cards on the market. I'm fine with that; one more reason to upgrade.
    Intel C2D E4300 @ 3.0GHz/EVGA 680i SLI 122-CK-NF68-A1/Wintec AMPO 2x 1GB DDR2 800/PNY 8800GTS 320mb @ 620/1800/SB X-FI Xtreme Music/Maxtor 300GB/Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 2x80GB & 1x 320GB/Antec True Control 550w PSU/Dual 19" NEC LCD displays
    -------------------------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ @ 2.7GHz/ASrock DualSata2/Mushkin 2x 1GB DDR400/Sapphire 9800Pro 128mb/Enermax Whisper 430/Westy W3 37" LCD

Lightbulb Here Is the Answer!

Have you heard about the Killer App?

Wikipedia:
    In this sense, a killer app substantially increases sales of the hardware that supports it.
    So, here's whats happening all along:

1. The console makers sign contracts to game designers

2. The designers create games for that console and that console only

3. The game reviews review the exclusive game, rating it highly, and then it becomes popular, blah blah blah... The list goes on.

4. Gamers owning the console, not wanting to be left out, rush to the stores to buy the game.

5. Gamers not owning the console, again not wanting to be left out, rush to the stores to buy the game AND the console, therefore boosting the console's sales.

6. Haha! The Console makers benefit at the end because they sold their consoles. End of Story.

Wikipedia:
    The term has also been applied to computer and video games that cause consumers to buy a particular video game console or gaming hardware. Nintendo 64 saw much success with the releases of Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The Game Boy saw Tetris, and following Game Boy iterations saw the highly successful Pokémon series.
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 09-14-2007 at 10:14 AM.

There's a step 7 there though - the console makers, Sony and MS and Nintendo etc, don't want to sell their consoles for the sake of selling consoles, they want to sell consoles to sell more software, where they make their real money. We all heard about the stories of MS losing money per Xbox console sale, but they made that back and then some on the games.

So the killer apps sell consoles so in turn the new console owner can continue buying new games. If by the end of the console's life the owner has on average 20 games in his or her collection, then that's probably more than enough for a big "Mission complete" banner.

im happy now as the following r due out on pc

halo 3 awesum
    fifa 2008
    juiced 2
    need 4 speed pro street

oops almost 4got sims cast aways 4 z missus she luvs that sort of crap

if any1 can update with any mo titles due to cum out on pc let me know

To be honest do you think along with the contracts that they don't like releasing super hit games to the PC because of all the downloading?
    Been a member way to long lol ;)

Asus Laptop!!!!!!!:
    Core 2 duo 2.5
    Geforce 9500 512mb
    250 gig hard drive
    4 gigs DDR2 ram!
    64 bit Vista Ultimate and loving it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Customgamer1 View Post
    To be honest do you think along with the contracts that they don't like releasing super hit games to the PC because of all the downloading?
    Probably, but maybe not. You see, Game Consoles seem to have easier programmability than a PC. And since you know what hardware you're dealing with, you can code games fit for the console and use the hardware to the max, but with PCs you have to estimate since the hardware the consumer uses varies very, very widely.

However, Game Consoles can't play all hit games, and PCs - giving the right hardware - can pump graphics at a much higher def.

If only game makers make highly optimized games for weaker systems, I would stick to a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguiluz View Post
    Probably, but maybe not. You see, Game Consoles seem to have easier programmability than a PC. And since you know what hardware you're dealing with, you can code games fit for the console and use the hardware to the max, but with PCs you have to estimate since the hardware the consumer uses varies very, very widely.

However, Game Consoles can't play all hit games, and PCs - giving the right hardware - can pump graphics at a much higher def.

If only game makers make highly optimized games for weaker systems, I would stick to a PC.
    It's not as big a deal as it used to be. Via chipsets causing issues, three different sound card players, drivers for specific vendor chipsets (not just 3DFX drivers, but Voodoo 3 drivers, Voodoo 4 drivers etc). PC gaming *used* to be a mess.

Now days, we have one or two major chipset players, one or two major sound card players, two video card producers with unified drivers, and Direct X standards (particularly with 10) are getting tighter, meaning game developers can now, more than ever, just adhere to DirectX standards and expect Nvidia and ATi to as well.

All the while, we have a console built on unique processor architecture and it gets mainstream attention, so the PC really isn't that hard to make games for. Plus, with the 360 being Windows based, now days it is easier than ever (in theory) to port games to the PC.

Microsoft need to really hit their next OS out of the ball park. I want to see them bridge the gap between PC and Console gaming by making it almost seamless. Maybe not 'one disc for both' quite yet, but if they can make it almost economically silly *not* to port 360 games to the PC (as in, it's so easy and cost effective even NCAA Football PC would make a profit), then PC gaming could reach a new age. Perhaps a "port" age, but a new age nonetheless. The ball is in their court - are they really serious about PC gaming, or would they prefer domination by their console?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information