Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: advice on gaming pc

Default advice on gaming pc

So basically the specs are:

P5Q Pro motherboard
    E8500 CPU
    Sapphire 4870X2 GPU
    4GB XMS2 Corsair RAM
    Asus Xonar DX sound card
    PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750W PSU
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2 (for storage)
    Pioneer DVR-215DBK DVD burner
    Thermalright 120-Ultra Extreme heatsink
    Antec Performance 182 Miditower black
    Vista Home Premium 64bit

My main concern is whether the 750W PSU will be sufficient. I saw a video review of 3dgameman and he recommended a 800+W PSU. I calculated the Wattage I'd have with this system and came out around 640W with a PSU calculator. I think I'm safe with a 750, since I won't do Crossfire, but I might do some OC'ing in the future.

Then, second concern: will everyting fit? I heard the GPU is quite large, will it fit the case, (I believe so) and will the heatsink (which is huge from what I've heard) fit next to all the other components.

Last but not least, do I need a network card, or is there one on the mobo that does the job well enough (for wireless).

Also, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: advice on gaming pc

Good PC there mate, for PSU, 750W should do, and that PC Power and Cooling is very good. I believe GFX should fit in the case. About wireless, the board doesn't have a wireless card, but if you want one, go for D-Link - D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter or D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter - only difference is that the first one is PCI and second one is PCI-E. I have the PCI version of it and it is very good.

If you need a wireless router go for this, I dont have this one, but thinking of one - D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router

About the heatsink, dont really know, I dont think it will give you any trouble.

Alright, thanks for the help man, much appreciated. :)

I've got a 4870x2 and the same case as you.
    It's a tight fit, so make sure you increase the fan speed on the GPU so it doesn't overheat.
    Some people here told me i could use RivaTuner to regulate the fan, it works great.

The 4870X2 wasn't that much of a problem tough (I removed the upper HDD cage or extra room). It was fitting in the power supply that got on my nerves. Why aren't all of them modular, it would make things so much easier...

To what percentage/speed did you increase the fan speed on the 4870X2?

I just left it at factory settings. But in the beginning I had the case fans at low (800) RPM. Things became pretty hot. So I increased their speed to mid (1200) RPM. Things are a lot cooler now.

Tried 60% first, which got the card down from 70C (without sidepanel on) to 30C (with sidepanel on), but it was too noisy, so i set it to 50%, which gives me an idle temp of 37-39C, and 50-51C while gaming.

You might as well set the case fans to turbo if you're gonna increase the speed of the GPU fan, 'cause the GPU fan makes more noise than the case fans once you've increased the speed a bit.

Thread Information