Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New PowerMac G5s

I just found out that Apple.com briefly posted, by accident, the specs of the G5 to be released on Monday.

1.6GHz, 1.8GHz or Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 processors
    Up to 1GHz processor bus

I'm amazed that they're up to 1GHz bus already.

Looking forward to some benchmarks.

Up to 8 GB of DDR, SATA and AGP 8x -- seems like it ought to move data pretty good. Theoretically 6.5 GBPS:eek:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Looking forward to some benchmarks.

Up to 8 GB of DDR, SATA and AGP 8x -- seems like it ought to move data pretty good. Theoretically 6.5 GBPS:eek:
    So when are ya getting one Mr. C.. :)

Just as soon as I can get enough freeware to populate it with software equivalent to what I use on my PC.

Or in other words, Never!!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I am an ex-Mac user. I sold my last G4 in January after I built a computer. I use both a Mac and PC at work but now that I've been able to get Photoshop 7 for my PC I'm not even booting the Mac except to check how websites I work on look on a Mac. My dad bought a G3 at a garage sale a few weeks ago and I checked how much it would be just to upgrade the cpu and video card to make it usable and you could build a new PC for the same price. Now I remember why I quit using Macs. I'm a reverse switcher. : party ha

Apple has finally announced its new Power Mac G5 systems.

The Power Mac G5 is the world’s fastest personal computer and the first with a 64-bit processor — which means it breaks the 4 gigabyte barrier and can use up to 8 gigabytes of main memory. The new G5 processor — available at speeds up to dual 2GHz with a new ultrahigh-bandwidth system architecture featuring AGP 8X and PCI-X — makes the Power Mac G5 a breakthrough in desktop processing power. And models start at just $1999.

Three powerful models The Power Mac G5 product line comes in three muscular configurations — 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and a dual 2GHz model. They all feature the legendary SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) as standard equipment across the line. And of course they come with two FireWire 400 ports, three PCI expansion slots, ADC connector, DVI connector, analog audio in, analog audio out, optical S/PDIF in, optical S/PDIF out, front headphone and speaker jack and built-in Gigabit Ethernet — all as standard equipment. All models are AirPort Extreme-ready, and offer Bluetooth capability as a build-to-order option.

Apple

More information
    Benchmarks

[The Blurb from AMDZone]
    Today I listened in to Apple's presentation from Steve Jobs on the new PowerPC 970 powered G5 systems. I found some claims downright false, and benchmark numbers quite suspicious. Not to mention one must wonder why no comparisons to Opteron or Athlon were made, and Apple doesn't even mention AMD despite their usage of HyperTransport and the AMD PCI-X chip borrowed from Opteron. We have a comparison of Apple's SPEC scores to those of Opteron, Athlon, P4, Xeon, Itanium 2, and Power4. The results seem troubling for Apple, and their disturbing presentation tarnishes the PowerPC 970 which is a much better CPU design than Motorola's G4, and deserves a better computer company to be affiliated with.

[The Link]
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Here is the official benchmark report.

http://www.veritest.com/clients/repo...erformance.pdf

Thread Information