Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: buying PC - motherboard/graphics advice needed please

Talking buying PC - motherboard/graphics advice needed please

Hey all, im new here!

The PC im buying is AMD64 3500+, 512 RAM (for now, will double this later in the year when i have more money), Geforce 6600GT. I play games occasionally and gonna start video editing too. Cant quite buy a monster as i have a budget of around 700.

I was looking to get the A8N SLI motherboard. But not sure if i really need an SLI one. I thought it made sense that in a year or so time (when I may need to upgrade a bit) i can add another good mid-range graphics card rather than chucking the old one and spending a lot on a high end one. Is it true the 2nd card has to be identical to the 1st one ?? Cos i dreamed of adding a 6800 card later on :(

Thanks

Neo

Default Re: buying PC - motherboard/graphics advice needed please

(oh and that 700 doesnt include the monitor as im stickign with my current 17" CRT)

or would it be better to just stick to a mobo with a single PCI-e slot? im not a hardcore gamer. but will occasionally play games and edit the odd video here n there.

but i do love a bit of power ;)

Just get an nForce 4 Ultra board and a 6600GT (or maybe something better). SLI more than doubles the cost of the board and doesn't really add that much upgradability just because of the cost issue. However, given your budget, an SLI board isn't a bad idea once you have everything else you wany. Go for a GB of RAM now, no matter what. A system on such a high budget can certainly afford it. Get a 3500, as you were planning.

Thread Information