Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XPlay - iPod now supported on PC

I am a long-time devoted PC user, and I will not abandon the PC platform anytime soon. However, no PC related manufacturer of MP3 players has released a product that compares to the Apple iPod. It should be noted that Apple did not develope the 10GB hard drive that the credit card profile iPod uses, but it did develop a very nice user interface.

XPlay, as it names suggests, enable the Windows XP user use an iPod with iPod system 1.1 or later with their machine. Although XPlay will jive with any windows operating system XP is prefered.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

I thought of putting this post under the heading of software, but this software is really enabling the use of hardware on the PC.

Does anyone think that an MP3 player made for the PC can compare to the iPod?
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

Bah, any thing PC is better than mac! for compatabilaty and support if nothing else.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Nah, the samsung drive in the iPod, coupled with a bit of fine engineering at Apple headquarters has produced a phenomonal product in the iPod....

The only improvements would be:
    1. Adding an optional USB2.0 connection... (because usb is everywhere, and so why not let your ipod interface everywhere- and let it double as portable hard drive)
    2. Give it a beefier battery, 10 hours. bleh.

PC lovers have to acknowledge that Apple is good at making an attractive looking product with an easy interface. Although this often makes an OS a big bloated monster made for people with the intellect of a toddler, it makes damn good sense for an MP3 player.

We have to hand it to Samsung for making the drive, but I can't understand why they didn't sell this to Rio or another PC based MP3 player company. Apple is such a small and dorky market to be in.

The PC solutions for MP3 have been clunky and have poor interfaces, if you've never seen an iPod, they're great. Light, the display is clear and a back light can be turned on that makes it look absolutely brialliant. I think XPlay is a great for PC users.
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">

I think that PCs should just have firewire ports on them. PCs and Macs have become increasingly friendly with one another, to the point where files transfer between them smoothly and peripherals are interchangable.

Why not come up with a standard for serial bus ports? It makes no sense to use USB when firewire is faster. It makes no sense to use USB 2.0 when Mac is developing and soon to be releasing a new standard that will blow USB 2 away - gigawire.

Mac has been stealing technology from the PC market for years, it's time that the PC community acknowledge that Mac has done a couple things better and just switch standards.

I have a program called MacOpener on my laptop with allows me to read Macintosh formatted disks [i occasionally sneakernet some files from PC/Mac via floppy and this program works]. The laptop has firewire onboard and a friend and I plugged in his iPod,
    you know this it automagically mounted a 4.8 gb Mac drive letter on my XP pro laptop. it classified itself as a removeable drive..

I didn't think it would be that easy.

Digital, what were you able to do with the iPod once you had it recognized by XP? Where you able to import and export MP3s? Could you do everything a Mac Owner could do with iTunes?

I think that PCs should just have firewire ports on them.
    Why???? Every PC since 1997 has had USB, and now with the top end supporting USB 2.0, which is 20 % faster than firewire, WHY f*ck with another plug standard.

It makes no sense to use USB 2.0 when Mac is developing and soon to be releasing a new standard that will blow USB 2 away - gigawire.
    It makes perfect sense. USB 2.0 has the same plug as each previous USB version. AND there is NO need for anything faster for at least a few years. USB 2.0 can handle 480 Mbps!!! Thats 60 Megs per sec! Very, very few of us have systems which can write that fast, and so just ponder the potential periferals that might come close to that potential. VERY few... maybe a DV cam with a ram drive.

Why not come up with a standard for serial bus ports?
    Oh Cord, you make it too easy... :D :D - Do you know what USB stands for? Universal Serial Bus. Universal, as in every platform supports it, and all devices can use it. You can't argue with this. Its ALREADY on every computer since 1997, (MAC or PC) and it is perfectly backwards and forwards compatable.

We have to hand it to Samsung for making the drive, but I can't understand why they didn't sell this to Rio or another PC based MP3 player company.
    I am fairly sure that samsung will sell Anyone the tiny drive. Mac is the only one to grab ahold of it. What I can't figure out is why Samsung didn't make their OWN mp3 player, they make everything else. Rio has never done anything right, so they can go to hell for dropping the ball here.

I know what USB stands for zeradul. Firewire is also a universal system, and any Serial Bus is only as universal as the systems that support it. The only reason why USB is supported on everything is because it's the PC standard, so Mac had to adopt it. USB isn't universal because of superiority, it's simply because of the market share of PCs in the computing market.

My point is that why do people think USB is so great when it has taken the PC market this long to come up with something only 20% faster than firewire right when Mac is going to blow away USB 2 with a new standard?

It's also silly to think we shouldn't have a bus standard that is way faster than devices so that the bus doesn't create a bottleneck for future devices. We should have standards that are fast as hell now so that platforms made today can take advantage of devices that will be deleloped in the future. Great devices will only be made if they have a large market to sell to, using a slow bus only limits the market for the large transfer speed products of the future.

I don't understand why PC manufactures don't use the same technology as apple. It's superior, It's available, and could pave the way for faster peripherals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information