Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crucial Technology Launches First Crucial Brand Video Card

Crucial Technology Launches First Crucial Brand Video Card
    Online memory leader offers Crucial® Radeon™ video card with high-quality Micron® DDR memory

Micron Technology, (208) 363-5621
    emhurley@micron.com
    http://www.crucial.com
    http://www.micron.com

Meridian, Idaho, July 29, 2002 — Crucial Technology®, a division of Micron and one of the world's largest direct memory upgrade providers, introduced today the Crucial® Radeon™ 8500LE 128MB video card powered by ATi and featuring Micron® double data rate (DDR) synchronous DRAM (SDRAM).

"Crucial has a long-standing reputation for providing quality products that enhance system performance," said Crucial Technology General Manager Mike Bokan. "Our new video card features Micron DDR, giving our customers another great way to benefit from direct access to our high-quality memory and superior service and support."

"Installing a new video card is easy and it's the ideal method, in addition to adding more RAM, to get your computer ready for the latest graphic-intensive software," said Crucial Technology Technical Support Manager Mike Sanor. "In particular, gamers and those who use software for manipulating digital images or video will enjoy smoother and more realistic graphics with the new Crucial Radeon 8500LE video card."

The Crucial Radeon 8500LE video card features 128MB of high-quality Micron DDR SDRAM, 400-MHz RAMDAC, DVI-out, dual-display capability, and a six-foot S-video cable, allowing the video card to connect to a S-video-compatible television display. The video card is available on Crucial's Web site at www.crucial.com and is currently priced at US$134.99. The Crucial video card comes with a limited lifetime warranty, free second-day shipping within the contiguous US (for a limited time), and Crucial's renowned customer service and technical support.

Crucial Technology is a division of Micron Semiconductor Products, Inc., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Micron Technology, Inc. Crucial sells high-quality RAM upgrades, flash memory cards, and video cards on its Web site at http://www.crucial.com. Crucial offers over 94,000 upgrades for more than 15,000 desktops, notebooks, servers, routers, printers, and electronic devices.

Micron Technology, Inc., and its subsidiaries manufacture and market DRAMs, very fast SRAMs, Flash Memory, other semiconductor components and memory modules. Micron's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the MU symbol. To learn more about Micron Technology, Inc., visit its web site at www.micron.com.

Micron, Crucial, and Crucial Technology are registered trademarks of Micron Technology, Inc. Radeon is a trademark of ATi, Inc., and is licensed for use by Crucial. All other trademarks referenced herein are the property of their respective owners.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Oooh, I can't wait to see the bench results. Crucial has done right by me on their memory for sure.
    I think this might be a bit of good news, good for the consumer to have a bit of competition amongst hardware producers.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I have enjoyed *premium* video cards, ever since I got my first Elsa, but now with elsa out of business, I was worried.

I have found a solution -- if Crucial decides to make cards with nVidia chips as well??? Crosses Fingers

Does anyone know?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1186&page=1

check out this review of the crucial card - they used 6ns memory - 333MHz DDR rather than the typical 500-550MHz.

Why would they do that? this is the worst Radeon I've ever seen - & it's not even that cheap at $135US

I had higher hopes for Crucial

Well, that card IS a Radeon 8500LE... and noone looking for performance will be buying that, so the descision was made, either for cost, or stability, or power consumption, or any combination of those to use the slower ram.

But who cares? That card is NOT a flagship of ATI, much less the entire gaming video card market, and so if they HAD used such fast and expensive ram, most would be asking why. Especially on such a low end card.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

:confused: Why doesn't a memory maker make a killer card with super fast memory - beyond the specs - and give us a "real" choice.

Maybe it needs to run its memory under the chips specification?
    - Damien

But we have multiple speeds of memory running under the same cpu chips. Are gpu's so different? I know that they would have to modify more than the memory, but I wish they would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Well, that card IS a Radeon 8500LE... and noone looking for performance will be buying that, so the descision was made, either for cost, or stability, or power consumption, or any combination of those to use the slower ram.

But who cares? That card is NOT a flagship of ATI, much less the entire gaming video card market, and so if they HAD used such fast and expensive ram, most would be asking why. Especially on such a low end card.
    following that logic - why introduce an 8500 card at all? - it's being discontinued in place of the 9000series

the right 8500LE (one with 250/250 or 250/230 clocks) is actually a very good card & is more than a match for any GF3Ti or GF4MX for very similar money, and with the right mods can be OC'd to the 300/300 range in many cases

My Point is this. Of all the people capable of buying and installing their own video cards, Significantly less than 10% are at all interested to buy the biggest, fastest, most expensive card on the market. Just to have a computer that does well in 3Dmark. Most people are just interested in their Divx movies playing well, and need an upgrade from the 4 meg, or 8 meg OEM card that came with their P3 500.

We are the minority. And there is alot of money to be made elsewhere.

For example, if Crucial were to stike a deal with Dell, they might be selling a million cards a month. The card presented in this post is PERFECT for 95% of Dell buyers. Stability and Reliability is the only thing that really matters here.

Either way, thier first offering to the market is irrelevant, and its far too soon to judge them as a video card company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information