Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD K8 + K400 MoBo + Nforce2???

well ill be honest im real confused now - if the k8s are 2003 and the nforce2 is well...now - what cpu's does it support athlon xp's? or the ever impending K8 series? - i imagine im not the only one interested but id have to say that with what i have it seems like a step down unless its a k8 - ya know? what do you think all?

nervagent55
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P4 1.8 ghtz - intel d845bg mobo
    512 mb pc2100
    Gforce4 Ti4400 128mb AGPx4
    creative audigy gamer EAX
    5.1 DD w/5300 speakers
    250mb internal zip drive
    24x10x40 cd-rw
    16x dvd drive
    3.5 floppy! (woo-hoo)
    19' nec flat display multisync fe950

p.s. on 3dmark2001se i get what i concider to be a whopping 8200+

the present Nforce2 is for XP's
    but the Hammer version will be almost identical

minus the memory controller
    Dual P2 233@266
    144MB ram
    TNT-M64 POS

what would the 'hammer version' be? it isnt socket a is it - and the nforce 2 - is socket a - im pretty sure - seems like it will be a viable purchase for about six months if thats the case - and could you do me a favor and explain about the memory controller?
    and actually the fsb differential between athlon and p4 sytems is outright maddening to me - i have 400 fsb? no its 100 quad pumped (confused) so my athlon buddie has a 266 fsb? no? he has 133x2? and a533fsb system is? what 133x5? so when nvidia talks about a 333 fsb - its what??? (my head hurts) oh and i guess ill throw out the which kind of ddr sould i buy and why ? - cause samsung is nvidias bed buddie but corsair sounds great !!

:shoot3:

Now, now take it easy and have a drink.

Now the "Clawhammer" version of the nForce 2 will have a socket 754 (or whatever but that's the pin count) and yes the memory controller will have to be dumped as "Clawhammer" has an intergrated memory controller. ;)

Now to sort ya FSB probs out. Yes there are now 2 main frequencies for the FSB now (100MHz and 133MHz). In the old days (P, PII, PIII) information along this bus was sent at 1 unit of data per 1MHz but then came the Athlon's and Duron's.
    Now these still worked on the 100MHz FSB but this was now "double pumped" (Double Data Rate) meaning that 2 units of data are being transfered per 1MHz which gives an effective data rate of 200MHz. Then the Athlon went to the 133MHz real FSB (266MHz DDR). Future Athlon's will have a 166MHz real MHz FSB which will have a data rate of 333MHz.
    Now to the P4's "quad pumped" FSB, yes in this one there are 4 pieces of data transferred for every 1MHz so that gave effective data rates of 400MHz for the earlier 100MHz FSB ones and 533MHz for the later 133MHz FSB ones. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

thanks wiggo - i feel like a jac a$$ sometimes but i just got a pc in feb and im 28 - but im real keen - ya see! so i just think a nforce 2 without a clawhammer (is it an athlon st?) is a waste plus does anyone know what the nv30 will be called seems to me like things a gonna double around here real quick and i already have a decent system so im ready for the big time with 64bit os and ddr2 or qdr - i mean realy wheres the smart man place his money?

Quote Originally Posted by Nervagent55
    so i just think a nforce 2 without a clawhammer (is it an athlon st?) is a waste plus does anyone know what the nv30 will be called seems to me like things a gonna double around here real quick and i already have a decent system so im ready for the big time with 64bit os and ddr2 or qdr - i mean realy wheres the smart man place his money?

i run intel stuff now

l but im defecting - why? amd/nvidia faith - am i dumb:shoot3:
    Well, Athlon ST was a name thrown around by some website, forget its address now, but thats not confirmed (to my knowledge)
    nForce 2, along with the Kt400 seem like a waste of time to me, as you wont get much better performance (AXP FSB is 133/maybe 166) so why run the RAM at 400? KT333 seems like a better choice unless your after the features of the KT400 like 8x AGP
    NV30 has had zillions of names thrown around, like GeForce 5, Eclips(e?), Dreamforce etc...
    64Bit OS wont be in mainstream use until Intel starts selling consumer priced 64Bit CPU's, so i wouldnt hold my breath :cheers:

64Bit OS wont be in mainstream use until Intel starts selling consumer priced 64Bit CPU's
    Its sad, but true, and im sure the same will apply with 64Bit programs too. By the time 64Bit things have taken over from 32Bit, AMD will be releasing their K9 or K10 processor.

Intel has a massive market share - about 85% i believe, might be wrong - so 8.5 out of 10 consumers buy one of their processors, which is obviously a problem for the take up of 64Bit OS/programs if intel doesnt have a consumer market priced (and decently priced, not this $$1300 stupidity) which means no 64Bit stuff for us :(

WELL THATS LAME - ILL JUST HAVE TO BUY A NV30 - AND A K8 TO TIDE THE TIME!

Hmm, the way i see things is the main advantage of having a K8 is to take advantage of x86-64. And since nothing is going to be using it for a while, theres not a whole lot of point there. Also there is the added processing power, but for what i use my computer for, the processor isnt the bottleneck, so the next AMD i buy will probably be the 9th gen. processor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information