Need help with Radeon 9700 Pro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Radeon 9700 Pro!

Please help! I'm having bad stability issues with my brand spankin new Radeon 9700 Pro (Built by ATI version). I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers as of this writing (May 25, 2003) and all of my other drivers are up to date as well. Since I just re-built this system after some changes, there are only 3 games installed on it, 1 of which works (Medal of Honor) and 2 that dont (Enter the Matrix & GTA:Vice City). Both the latter two lock up at random points in the game almost without fail, just a complete hang and frozen screen. This is a clean installation, I've only put in the drivers and a few minor odds and ends and have tweaked NOTHING yet.

My setup:
    ----------------------------------------------
    MSI KT7N2-L (8x AGP is set)
    AMD Athlon 2400+ XP
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Creative Extigy
    MSI TV @nywhere PCI Card
    Promise ATA133 Controller
    2 Maxtor 60GB IDE Hard Drives
    1 Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive
    Pioneer DVR-105
    HP dvd300i DVD+RW
    LiteOn 48x24x48 CD-RW
    MSI 52x CD-ROM
    PC Toys 520watt Power Supply
    ----------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the lockups? Is 8X AGP unstable on this board? Could it be the TV @nywhere? I'm at a complete loss here. I removed a Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 from mostly the same setup and prior to adding the 9700 everything worked just fine. I only re-installed Windows because my primary HD was a mess but that's no longer an issue. Is it possible I have a defective 9700? I'm using Directx9.0a and all of that and it passes the tests.

Please help! Thanks.

Hmm i'm not sure about this so run the full system tests at PcPitstop . Also make sure u have enough cooling and try re-insalling the drivers. Thats all i can think of at the moment.:(

Comment

I tried PC Pitstop already and everything came out fine.

Interestingly, I knocked the AGP speed down to 4x instead of 8x and it seems to have cleared up. I know that in the "early days" of 8x AGP it was considered to be pretty unstable but is it still? I mean the motherboard is about 2 months old and the card is brand new. You'd think it would be fairly ironed-out by now. Anyone else have 8x AGP trouble, particularly with the 9700 Pro?

Comment

that sounds like a mobo problem. check for bios update fix or mobo agp driver fix from msi.

Comment

Just quick question: What nForce2 drivers are you using? There was a recall recently for the latest nForce2 drivers as they caused a lot of problems... check out this link

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nforce_udp_winxp_2.03

Comment

Thats interesting information about the nForce drivers. I will look into that as that is the version I'm using. Missed that announcement by a day, hahaha. As for the BIOS and AGP updates, I checked with MSI and there isn't anything that applies as far as I can see. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really missing out on anything with 8x AGP anyway as a few other posts around here would suggest not.

Comment

sorry but i forgot to mention this earlier, try 4x agp in the bios, this has fixed a few problems similiar to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by C_deck
                sorry but i forgot to mention this earlier, try 4x agp in the bios, this has fixed a few problems similiar to yours.
                Umm, he said he did that earlier and it worked. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                  Umm, he said he did that earlier and it worked. :)
                  i'm bad, i can't read. i missed that post entirely. :)

Comment

Just to be sure, you said the latest Catalyst drivers were installed? 3.4 right? Because there were known issues with 8x AGP in versions prior to 3.2.

Other than that...do what the others said and verify you have the latest BIOS firmware for your mobo and the latest mobo NForce2 drivers installed. Be careful of using the reference drivers directly from Nvidia and use the ones that MSI provides. Without the drivers things will not work right.

There is also a possibility something in your BIOS settings got out of wack so you could reset all your BIOS settings to default and work from there.

Once you've verified all the latest drivers and BIOS updates you could try uninstalling your Catalyst drivers and your mobo drivers and then reinstalling them. And make sure there are no residual drivers for other graphics cards or motherboards or for that matter any other non existent hardware still installed in Windows.

Comment

Well I am having the same problem with this video card as you are dick richards. My system consists of the following.CASE ANTEC/Sever Tower PLUS1080AMG TRUE 430 WATTS
                      ATI /RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB 8X
                      CPU AMD/2400 /266 ATHLON XP TBRED%
                      DDRAM 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 COR%
                      HD 80GB/IBM 7200R #07N9685 2MB %
                      CDRW 52x24x52/LITE ON LTR52246 BLK%
                      DVD/LITE ON 16X LTD166 OEM BLACK %
                      SB BLASTER AUDIGY/SB0092 (W/1394)%
                      ETHERNET INTEL/PRO/1000 MT DSKTP RT
                      CPU FAN AMD/PAL8045T NO FAN ALPH RT HEATSINK
                      SUNON 80x80x38mm TORNADO FAN, DOUBLE BALL BEARING, ULTRA HIGH RPM, 3/4PIN SEPERATE RPM/POWER CONNECTORS
                      COOLING FAN/HARD DRIVE 2FAN VTEC RT
                      CABLE FD/FLOPPY18"RD 2C YELLOW
                      CPU THERM PASTE/ARCTIC SILVER 3 3G%
                      CABLE HD/IDE A10/3 18"3H RD GREE RT
                      FAN ANTEC/80MM / 5 EACH
                      S/W MS/WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SR1%
                      FD 1.44MB/SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1
                      ASUS A7V8X MOTHERBOARD

Playing in the following games made by NovaLogic
                      Delta Force Land Warrior & Black Hawk Down the game locks up in the same manner. I have tried everything that I could think of I even took the pc back to Best Buy where they assembled it and they told me something that I feared a defective video card. So I sent the card back to ATI in Canada via New York Distribution Center. About a month later my card was back they replaced the card just as a precautionary measure there was NOTHING WRONG with my old card my guess was that Best Buy wanted to just blow me off instead of fixing the problem. Well after 5 short days of playing DFLW I started to get BLUE and YELLOW lines throughout the screen. I have updated drivers and everything that I can think of but still have the same problems. If you want some more horror stories for this card type in BAD REVIEWS at yahoo.com you will be amazed what all pops up I sure as h*ll was. I mean everyone that I talked to in the gaming world recommemded this card with high marks turns out this card is more of a pain in the a** than any other card out there. If anyone has a solution to this problem pls advise and thank you for your time and cooperation.

Comment

I have had a 9700pro from Gigabyte, and I do not know if this could be the solution, but you MUST have a version 3.0 or later (it can be found on a sticker on the videocard.

I had a version 1.0 (bought in the beginning of may 2003) and a Asus p4g8xdeluxe mb.

Check the test at www.guru3d.com

After I bougt an 9800 pro all my problems were gone.

Please read the review. It may solve your problems.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

Any Radeon9700Pro's prior to version3.0 will generally work better at AGP4x rather than 8X - disabling fastwrites can also help stability as well.

Comment

I've had three different 9700Pros from ATi all running in the same box and all of them worked fine running at 8X AGP. The only time I had problems at 8X was before upgrading to catalyst 3.2 (now running 3.4). There are known issues with versions prior to 3.2.

I have no idea what the version number is(was) on any of these cards and couldn't find anything at Guru3D there to explain how to find out. I'm running a ASUS A7N8X mobo.

Comment

when you go to the site of www.guru3d.com and you will read the test of the gigabyte radeon 9700pro, then you will see that they mention the version <3.0 as possible problem cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X