CPU Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Upgrade

What do I have to do to upgrade my CPU? Looked up the MoBo specs. Is it just a matter of replacing the old with the new?

Yes, well there is Intel and AMD. You have an Intel chip if you have a pentium, and you have an AMD if you have an Athlon XP brand chip. (Also popular CPU's are celerons=intel duron=AMD) A CPU upgrade is simple, you just order the processor, and slip it in the ZIF slot, put some thermal compound on the HSF, and slap that baby back on, and your rollin No drivers, or anything like that. Simply rip off heatsink, slap in, slam down heatsink, (Repair broken board after slamming, and slapping ;) ) and your done. Obviously if you have a board made for Intel chips you can only run that type of processor. Same go's for boards designed for Athlons, and durons, etc.

Comment

Yes, but you'll want to make sure that you have a good thermal interface material (aka GOOP) on hand to help the HSF transfer the heat when you remount it.

After the change, the motherboard should automatically detect the new processor. Some of the older motherboards may not do this straight off and you will have to reset the CMOS by whatever means applies to your particular board.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by XBoy
        Yes, well there is Intel and AMD. You have an Intel chip if you have a pentium, and you have an AMD if you have an Athlon XP brand chip. (Also popular CPU's are celerons=intel duron=AMD) A CPU upgrade is simple, you just order the processor, and slip it in the ZIF slot, put some thermal compound on the HSF, and slap that baby back on, and your rollin No drivers, or anything like that. Simply rip off heatsink, slap in, slam down heatsink, (Repair broken board after slamming, and slapping ;) ) and your done. Obviously if you have a board made for Intel chips you can only run that type of processor. Same go's for boards designed for Athlons, and durons, etc.
        pssst...
        The posting in the "INTEL" forum is a clue. ;)
        My Toys

Comment

If you have Windows XP you may have to re-activate it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. And yes, I do have a Pentium. In the meantime had someone tell me to remove my cpu in Hardware Manager?? Anything to that?

Comment

Hopefully you're not trying to upgrade from a PIII (or older) to a P4. That wont work. Also, when the P4's first came out the socket was a 423 pin, but they changed to 478 pin and have kept it there ever since. So, if you have a 478 pin great. If not then start over with a new mobo and all. :)
              :-(

Comment

I currently have a Pentium-III 933 in an Intel D815EPEA2 mobo. I want to upgrade this without having to buy a mobo and RAM if possible. The only upgrade that I can see in the P-III family is the 1.26mhz with 512k cache (Tualatin).

Would this be a good move for about a year? Or should I just bite the bullet and go for a P4 system, probably a 2.66 mhz?

Thanx in advance for any and all suggestions.

John ;)

Comment

I'd go ahead and make the P4 purchase. There is a good deal of difference between the two performance-wise and the use of DDR memory makes that difference stand out even more. :)
                  My Toys

Comment

I was afraid of that. But you are probably right as it generally makes little sense to invest in obsolete technology.

If I go Intel P4, any specific recommendations as to mobo and P4 model? Price is a consideration so what do you think of a P4 2.4 or 2.6? I place reliability 1st, performance second. I do limited gaming so astronomical frame rates are not an issue. Aside from the usual web and e-mail stuff, my primary uses are Office 2000 (Word, Excel) and development in FileMaker Pro.

Since price is a consideration for me, should I be looking at the AMD side as well as Intel?

Thanx,

John :cheers:

Comment

I would suggest waiting for one of these new P4 2.4C processors. There was a headline on it on the home page. Check that out. If you want AMD, go for the XP 2500+ Barton. Apparently its easily OCed, which only makes sence since its only update is more L2 Cache, thus allowing for a higher rating at low clock speed, meaning lower heat levels at default. Am I making any sence?

If you decide AMD, go with an nForce2 Motherboard. Everyone around here seems to like the Epox 8RDA+, and its a reasonable price.

Comment

Hey macho, it would help if we had your complete specs. Also be careful with socket 370, certain cpu's(fcpga2) won't work with lots of boards. And lots of stores are stupid and don't know the difference. There is a compatability difference between fcpga and fcpga2.
                        That goes for celeron and pIII.
                        fcpga2 are 1.1a-1.4a
                        As u can see, I got a 1.2a celeron .13micron @1.6ghz and its real fast. This cpu won't work with my other 370 boards, in those, I had [email protected].

pm me if u want, i've worked lots with socket 370/slot over the years and still do.
                        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                        asus a7n8xe-dlx
                        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                        bfg 6800gt
                        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                        samsung dvdrw
                        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                        mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                        DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                        thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                        seagate sataII 500gb
                        evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                        samsung sata dvd-rw
                        2x1024 ocz black
                        logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                        ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Is a reinstall of Windows XP required aftering installing a new processor? I'll be going from a 2.53 to 2.8C soon.

Comment

No, a reinstall is not necessary.

Comment

You may need to reactivate windows though. Ive never done a processor upgrade on an XP system so I am not quite sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X