Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a real need for the Raptor HDD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a real need for the Raptor HDD?

Depending on what applications you mostly use, is the Western Digital SATA 10K Raptor worth buying?

If I mostly use my PC for 3D Animation, Photoshop, Games and a bit of editing. Will I see a big difference between the Raptor and say a DiamondMax Plus 9 in reguards to processes like these? (The Raptor does look great though!)

Also: Ive seen all the reviews on the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9, and everything points to it as the best 7200rpm SATA drive out there! Does anybody know of any flaws or problems with it though? Thanx. :shrug:

yes the raptor would be faster used as a scratch disk, etc, and for moving files, rendering to hd. the raptor is the fastest/faster thing you'll get to a scsi harddrive. it won't make that big of a difference. 3d/photoshop/games depend a lot on cpu/video card. hd probably helps it more though.

Comment

you'll see the biggest performance boost when the new PCI bus is released...then you'll have the bandwidth and speed to see SATA and 10k rpms really shine

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        you'll see the biggest performance boost when the new PCI bus is released...then you'll have the bandwidth and speed to see SATA and 10k rpms really shine
        When will that show up..?

So maybe it's folish to buy a new ata100 drive then, even though they are dirt cheap nowadays..

For example, 80gb western 8mb cache like $70.. lol
        The raptor is about $140-150 and offers just half the size, it would be sweet to run one as boot disc though.. :D

Comment

Originally posted by hona
          Depending on what applications you mostly use, is the Western Digital SATA 10K Raptor worth buying?

If I mostly use my PC for 3D Animation, Photoshop, Games and a bit of editing. Will I see a big difference between the Raptor and say a DiamondMax Plus 9 in reguards to processes like these? (The Raptor does look great though!)

Also: Ive seen all the reviews on the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9, and everything points to it as the best 7200rpm SATA drive out there! Does anybody know of any flaws or problems with it though? Thanx. :shrug:
          The 10K WD drive is basically for the people who want very fast read/write access, at the loss of some storage space. Sure, it might make things run that little bit faster, but I don't know if it's worth it in the long run.

I also checked out the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9 reviews, which made me buy 2 x 120GB drives. Will be installing them tonight, and I can't wait. I plan on doing a bit of video editing with my new system, so these drives give me both speed and space, which is what I need. As far as I know there shouldn't be any problems with them at all. And I'm always for something that outperforms the WD SE drives. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
            I plan on doing a bit of video editing with my new system
            Are you building a whole new system or just the drives? Specs..:?:

Comment

2700+ XP (will overclock to around 200FSB when I get it set up)
              Soltek 75-FRN2-RL MB
              2 x 512MB matched Corsair 400Mhz DDR-RAM
              2 x 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD
              Audigy 2 Platinum
              4x2 Pioneer DVD-RW
              52x24x52 LiteOn CD-RW
              Radeon 9700 Pro All-in-Wonder
              420W PSU
              Thermaltake Xaser II 6000+ case

Still using the same old screen / KB / mouse, etc... til I get something better.

Comment

wow, that will be quite the setup once you get it up and running

Comment

Hope so...

Comment

May I ask what ya do for a livin'..:?: Not that it's any of me buissness.. :rolleyes:

That's one helluva system..:eek: Soltek mobos are sweet.. :)

Comment

Work as the only IT tech / admin for a Univeristy campus. Busy job, pay is ok. ;)

Comment

Work as the only IT tech / admin for a Univeristy campus. Busy job, pay is ok. ;)
                        Sweet! Yeah I guess ya earning quite good by the looks of your new comp.
                        Actually I could use a couple of those hdd's to.. :)

Now say, you got to meet and talk to many hot n' sexy Univeristy chicks then I reccon..
                        :lips: :lips: :lips:

Comment

For the sake of keeping my job, I don't know what you are talking about.. ;) ;)

Comment

For the sake of keeping my job, I don't know what you are talking about.. ;) ;)
                            :rofl:

For the sake of keeping my gf I can say that I neva talk to the girls I meet at work either.. :shh:

Comment

Working...
                            X