Shuttle XPC cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle XPC cooling

I am planning on installing a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz in a Shuttle ss51g and i was wondering if i could replace the stock ultra-high speed fan with a slower but much quieter Sunon medium speed fan.....

im mainly wondering if there will be any cooling probs if i do this, also, should i replace the fan in the PSU or is that just pointless?

It's likely that temps will rise if ya do that but how far I couldn't say but Shuttle deemed that that fan is necessary otherwise they would've used a quieter one and remember that the smaller the case the less airflow within the case is possible.

Comment

just checked again..the fan that comes with the xpc is a highspeed.... 39.5 CFM @ 39 dB.....but the medium speed is 39 CFM @ 32 dB....

maybe i should just change the fan with a 32 CFM @28 db standard fan....im just wonderin how the cpu will hold up cause with MY logic...shuttle has been usin the same ICE for all their products, this ICE can cool a 3 ghz cpu, so would a 2.4 really get that hot if i changed the fan to one thats 20% less capaciity for a cpu thats 20% slower???

Comment

There's no harm in tryin' but do keep a close watch on ya temps.

Comment

I have a shuttle XPC with the Nforce2 mobo in it, I have noticed that with the heatpipe HSF setup that even with another fan that puts out more CFM than the stock one the RPM'S are limited due to the setup of the heatsink. I replaced the stock XPC fan with a 3000rpm 34cfm fan the rpm's were reduced to about 2000 when installed in the XPC case. I love my little comp but there is a lot to be said about the cooling set up in it. I am planning (the next time I pull it apart) on installing a TT smartfan in it just to see what it does. The system idles about 20c more than room temp. I hope this helps you out some. This case is not for OCers at all. The Heat pipe just cant handle the xtra heat!!

Comment

what would happen if i reversed the direction of the fan. This way the fan can suck cool, outside air through the radiator. And since the fan/radiator is in a shroud, i dont think that this way would be any less efficient than lettin the fan blow in the radiator....

Comment

Give it a shot and see how it does. Just let us all know about it. I would at least download a monitor program that shows the temps so you dont fry anything. I personally use Mother Board Monitor 5.

Comment

what would happen if i reversed the direction of the fan. This way the fan can suck cool, outside air through the radiator. And since the fan/radiator is in a shroud, i dont think that this way would be any less efficient than lettin the fan blow in the radiator....
                That would be very foolish, because then your number one heat source would be located at your ONLY intake point. Anything that is inside the PC that depends on dissipating heat through passive cooling, would be WARMED UP, and start to have problems. Not to mention the heatsink unit would loose any and all passive cooling it has, and the vid card would have a hell of a time. The PSU would then be responsible for extracting 100% of the heat, and IT would probably over heat.

Your idea would work great if you wanted a toasty warm PC, and heck while you're at it, wrap it in a winter coat.

Using a slower fan will probably work just fine. Turning the fan around = fatal.

Comment

Working...
                X