GFX5200, Why so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFX5200, Why so cheap?

This card started out under $100 (US). I thought it seemed like a good buy for the price, since it seems fast enough to run all of todays software. Is it or is there something I should be aware of?

its because the gfx 5200 is worse than the gf4 ti 4600. the gfx 5200 to 5800 were like the worst cards that nvidia has made and it actually gave them a bad face because of all the errors it had(overheating, screensaver probs, etc. ).

Comment

the 5200 is a budget card and that's why it's got a lower price tag

Comment

Yes, it is truly designed as a budget card. While it won't be setting any land speed records, it is worth the price if you're truly on a tight budget and just can't afford anything better.

As to the claim concerning the heating and screensaver problems, I can say that I didn't have any of these when I tested one recently, and the system ran for days on end.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

the screen saver problem is caused by overheating when the FX 5800 doesnt switch into 3d fan operation for some 3d screen savers, however this only affects the 5800 and 5800 Ultra, not the 5600 or 5200 cuz they produce much much less heat :thumb:

Comment

its because the gfx 5200 is worse than the gf4 ti 4600. the gfx 5200 to 5800 were like the worst cards that nvidia has made and it actually gave them a bad face because of all the errors it had(overheating, screensaver probs, etc. ).

Some of the Gf4 Ti 4200 cards are still over $100 (US) and supposedly I beleive the 5200 has the same bus speed plus its a newer chipset, so looking at it that way it seems like a good buy.

I just got a Asylum Gf 5200 at Wal-mart to replace my struggling ATI Radeon 7200 in my AMD 2100+ machine. I'd have to say I didn't notice much of a difference in graphics speed while running GTA Vicecity. It's still kinda jerky when it comes across high graphic areas in the city, just like the ATI 7200 is:( at defualt settings. I have a Asylum GF4 Ti 4200 in an older P4 1.4 ghz with less Ram that seems to do a better job, so maybe there is a reason cheap performs cheaply.

Comment

The GF4 Ti4200 is by far a more superior gaming card than the GFX5200 and the 5200 is targeted at the R9200 which is ATi's current budget card (the GF4 Ti4200 is classed as a midrange card and the GFX5600 is it's replacement).

Comment

Comment

In my opinion you'd be better gettin a descent 9000 and overclocking it to the same speed as a 9200. Great price and pretty solid frame rates:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                  X