AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP (VIA KT400 chipset)
    512mb pc3200 ram
    Radeon 9700 Pro (128mb)
    1 x Maxtor 30gb HDD (Master)
    1 x Seagate 80gb HDD (Slave)
    Enermax 350W PSU
    Windows XP Home

This system worked fine in my old aluminium case, with the odd crash which I believe related to the cpu temperature was running at around 57ºC idle (!). The 80gb HDD was NOT part of this system.

Therefore I decided to upgrade – I installed the system into my new Antec PlusView 1000, added 5 x 80mm case fans (2 intake at the front, 1 x passing over the HDD), 1 x intake in the window over my gfx card, and 2 exhaust) I also installed the new 80gb HDD as a slave on the primary IDE channel; following this I portioned and formatted the new HDD.

Last night I played Counter-Strike both online and on LAN with no problems at all, yet today when I tried to play it, I was struck down by the wrath of the blue screen. I also got system freezes and reboots. The same happened in UT2003.

My system runs idle at 30ºC, and the cpu at 40º. I couldn’t check to see these temps whilst running CS because it crashes before I get the chance to alt-tab to the desktop. I ran slightly less cpu-intensive tasks such as watching a movie in WMP, and previewing some movie footage in Premiere. Both only increase the system and cpu temps to 35 and 45ºC respectively, however both programs crash after about 30 secs - 1 min.

My cpu temp software (Easytune) gives me some interesting feedback – it says my system fan is running at 0rpm, which, to an extent, is true – none of my fans are connected to the sys_fan connector on my mobo, but I can’t see how that is the problem. Easytune also says that my case is open. This is untrue, and BIOS says that the case is closed. Confusing, huh?

I don’t see how the new HDD could be problem, therefore I think it may be something to with my cpu refusing to perform slightly more power-hungry actions. I have a stock HSF, but that is being replaced by an Aerocool Phantom which should be arriving in the next few days. It actually runs slower than my current fan (mine = 5000rpm, Phantom = 2600rpm) which is worrying – I hope this won’t make things worse.

I also checked out the conflicts/sharing section in the system diagnostics. The following came up, which I do not really understand, being somewhat of a complete and utter noob, but my Radeon 9700 seems to have a few issues with IRQ sharing, but other than that I don’t really understand it:

I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000AFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000AFFF RADEON 9700 PRO

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON 9700 PRO

IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 21 VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF RADEON 9700 PRO

IRQ 16 RADEON 9700 PRO
    IRQ 16 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    IRQ 16 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #3
    IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

IRQ 19 Creative SB Audigy
    IRQ 19 WinXP Promise MBUltra133 (PDC20276) (tm) IDE Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 9700 PRO

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 9700 PRO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any idea what has happened to my beloved system, I would be grateful for any info that could help. I’ll be checking back here to see if any geniuses have posted anything, but I can be emailed at [email protected] , and I can be found in #ea.uk on irc.quakenet.org. I’ve posted this in quite a few tech sites, hoping to get as much help as possible :P

Thanks for your time y’all

MVT

I'd be worried about ya vid card and sound card sharin' IRQ's with other hardware as both these usually will give probs when not on their own separate IRQ's. If ya not usin' ya com ports then disable them and see if Windows will free the others up though ya PSU may also be gettin' marginal with the extra load of the fans. Also check out the Event Viewer for any critical errors bein' logged there.

Comment

Thx Wiggo, I uninstalled both the gfx card and the SB, but when XP detects the Radeon it auto-assigns it back to port 19! Is there any way I can change it to IRQ 3 or 4, my old COM ports?

Comment

I always like to sort my IRQ's out in BIOS before even loading the os which is likely why I never have this prob but did ya check the Event Viewer out (control panel/admin tools)? :?:

Comment

Well, I've sorted out the conflicts but the problem still occurs, so I guess that wasn't the prob.

Could it possibly be to do with my PC rebooting itself to prevent the games from starting because it thinks the case is open/system fan isn't on?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            ..though ya PSU may also be gettin' marginal with the extra load of the fans. Also check out the Event Viewer for any critical errors bein' logged there.
            Ya havn't mentioned that ya checked the Event Viewer yet or what ya found there. :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
            X